Punk gigs at the Marples

This is probably in the wrong place, im computer illiterate...Anyway, lots of talk about Dingwall's I went to lots of gigs there. Nobody else mentioned Wilko Johnson's Solid Senders...I was there, was anyone else??

Also, to those of you who missed Daisy's home coming in June......Shame on you, and what a night it was!

Who are you ? !!!

I never frequented Marples myself. However I do recall one night when myself and my good friend Oswald were in the Mucky Duck down the road. It must have been 1976 and we saw The Clash open for the Sex Pistols. We were gobbing and pogoing all night ... happy days!

yeah sadly chris long died a few years back, great bloke, pity the drugs and booze finally got him in the end

Got a picture of Longy in his Mod gear, around 1979, with a load of lads on Gleadless Valley/John O'Gaunt shops, it looks like a picture from Quadrophenia :hihi:

Got a picture of Longy in his Mod gear, around 1979, with a load of lads on Gleadless Valley/John O'Gaunt shops, it looks like a picture from Quadrophenia :hihi:

only ever knew him from his stick, afgan coat, long hair, peace gardens days

Does anyone remember when the Marples was a venue for punk bands? I spent many an evening there in the late seventies watching the likes of Discharge, GBH, Vice Squad, UK Subs & many more. Oh happy days.

Wonder where all the punks have gone now They were truly wondorous days & Marcus Featherby who seemed to organise the events where is he now.[i loved the Maples, was always in there early-mid 80s great times, sadly there's nowhere like there now :(]

Deano & Chris were top Lad's , Deano was always dressed in black went to his flat once and was horrified to see his ashtray stand was a human leg bone & Chris often had his dog wearing a neck scarf with him shared many beers in the John o Gaunt with him R.I.P Dean & Chris[i've got some great pics of when I was seeing Chris Long early 80s :)]

Deano & Chris were top Lad's , Deano was always dressed in black went to his flat once and was horrified to see his ashtray stand was a human leg bone & Chris often had his dog wearing a neck scarf with him shared many beers in the John o Gaunt with him R.I.P Dean & Chris[i've got some great pics of when I was seeing Chris Long early 80s :)]

Thanks for this posting Karen. NOW I remember Chris....(Long), since you mentioned the dog wearing a neck scarf. That bit has jogged my memory.

Yes....Nice bloke.

Edited by dropout
Have realised, on reflection, that some people might NOT want their names and info posted on forum sites. Withdrawn, apols.

I attended a lot of the Marples punk gigs and did a chapter on them in my recently published Dirty Stop Out's Guide to 1980s Sheffield book. You can see it at http://www.acmretro.com/dsog80.html

It's set to be featured in punk/new wave mag Vive Le Rock soon. If anyone has any good photos from any of the gigs I'd love to see them. I've got another project I'm presently working on that's set to feature the Marples again - please let me know

Thanks for this posting Karen. NOW I remember Chris....(Long), since you mentioned the dog wearing a neck scarf. That bit has jogged my memory.

Yes....Nice kid.

I hung out a bit with Deano, Ian Tiny, Pat and Sue, Mandy...my Sis,others, when I was Punk and living at Barnsley Road, early 1980s..

I knew about Deano...and had heard on here/other forums about Chris...but I couldn't remember him..until your posting just now....jogged my memory.

Someone, my sister, I think, said that Chris Kemp had also passed away a few years ago. ! I haven't heard any news of that...and I hope it is not true.

Does anyone else remember/know news of Chris Kemp from Limit/leadmill punk scene...1980s on...Sheffield?

Thanks. Old punks re-united. Well...some of them!![

I don't remember Chris Kemp But I knew Tiny and a Sue whether the same one I dunno. I went in the Marples, Leadmill, Mucky Duck, George 1V, Barrowboys, pub on West St bands played upstairs, Riverside, White Lion Chesterfield Road..... before starting to travel further afield to see bands London, Birmingham Mirmaid, 1in12, Adam and Eve's Leeds, lived in London..... Great times, the best infact. Been to see bands recently - Rebellion Blackpool, Antisect = Liverpool, Bristol, London, Bradford..... ]

John O Gaunt was my old stomping ground, and that's where I knew Chris from, I will try and upload a picture of us all on to a site somewhere, like Flicker.

Marcus Featherby is alive and well....

He certainly is, but not under that name! :hihi: