Punk gigs at the Marples

I went to a fair few of the Marples punk gigs in 70s/80s and, though I minded my own a bit, I also hung out with Deano, Tiny (our) Rocka Debs, Chris, Sarah bod, Pat, Sue, Mick Denton, Slonk, Ian Williams, Duane from the Limit (R.I.P.) and others, loads of who I MUST HAVE known....Rob Dingo, Grappler, Tinkerbell, Whitehorses?, but lost touch with in the mid 1980s when, most people seemed to go off and do their own thing..........BUT, I appreciate the returned memories of what has been said here....all the punks meeting at Woolworths cafe on Saturday and going down the Moor to Virgin....and hanging out.

The Marples gigs....I remember Negatives, Stunt Kites, Crass, Dirt, Annie Anxiety, others.

Has anyone bought Tonys (Beesley) book, Our Generation? about those times....76-1985.

It is 400 pages of stories and memories and photers from those days....GOOD DAYS....in our lives.....and at less than £20, I think the book is well worth buying....for the memory.

Hi dropout,

Again I have replied to another thread you have posted on, we must have known each other, if not well, then to say Hi to.I am in Tony's book, and his new ones I think, got to get them off him yet.I knew all the people you mention.Exciting times weren't they?

hi okismoki

she still has the long dark hair. she hasnt changed much and still lives in parson cross. whats your name? i will have to show her the post's. she likes to reminis about the old times. cheers mate. thanks for the reply.[/quote

Have been browsing Sheffield forum...after learning of the death of another punk friend from the 1970s/80s, Steve Chapman, ex-stunt kite guitarist.

I knew Deano and his mates, Tiny, etc..when they shared a bedsit with us on Barnsley Road in about 1979/80 I think.

Deano knew Rocka Debs, Maxine, Pat and Sue...all those hardcore punks...

He looked a bit scary at the time....because of his tattoos and shaven head...but he had a gentle side too...when you got to know him...and he had some funny stories to tell too.

He liked a smoke or two did Deano...as well as the beers of course.

Last time I saw him was down in Fir Vale...across from the hospital...

I was shocked and saddened....all those years ago now....when I heard he'd passed away...in police custody, etc.

There were a lot of close knit people in Sheffield back then...and possibly

links to Middlesbrough too...who knew Deano...so you should be able to find out a fair bit more about him I suppose.

Best regards matey.

Thanks for writing this.

Regards Dean.

yeah i did hear of that, gona go check it out soon, any others?

They do have occassional punk band/nights at Dickens in Rotherham

They do have occassional punk band/nights at Dickens in Rotherham

Hi all

I love reading all these threads it takes me back to those days when u could go down town alone n meet up with your mates in the Peace Gardens etc.

Its so sad many of the old lot have passed away it makes u relise just how special our lifes are and we should do our best to enjoy it and try and keep in touch with old mates. I still see Rocka Deb who i have known and respected for years.

I have bought all three of Tonys books and i think they are really good especially the bits i wrote lol. Hope everyone is going to the Limit re-union in December remember to wear a badge saying your user name so we can spot each other ;)

I should have wrote the small little guotes i wrote for Tonys book lol and sum one said they may have know me well i was the punk lass who was very small with lots n lots of eye make up on :o)

Hi all

I love reading all these threads it takes me back to those days when u could go down town alone n meet up with your mates in the Peace Gardens etc.

Its so sad many of the old lot have passed away it makes u relise just how special our lifes are and we should do our best to enjoy it and try and keep in touch with old mates. I still see Rocka Deb who i have known and respected for years.

I have bought all three of Tonys books and i think they are really good especially the bits i wrote lol. Hope everyone is going to the Limit re-union in December remember to wear a badge saying your user name so we can spot each other ;)

Try going out to a few punk gigs you might meet up with some of the people on here, but don't hold your breath it's almost 2011

i used to go to the marples for the punk gigs, also dingwalls and george 4th on infirmary road. i remember one time around christmas seeing flux of pink indians at the marples and the price of admission was a toy as they were going to give them to disadvantaged children. some great gigs. my favourite though was dead kennnedys at the leadmill around 81 [i think...the memorys going!!!]

i used to go to the marples for the punk gigs, also dingwalls and george 4th on infirmary road. i remember one time around christmas seeing flux of pink indians at the marples and the price of admission was a toy as they were going to give them to disadvantaged children. some great gigs. my favourite though was dead kennnedys at the leadmill around 81 [i think...the memorys going!!!]

i just read about that flux gig in ian glaspers day the country died book, bit before my time tbh :(

Try going out to a few punk gigs you might meet up with some of the people on here, but don't hold your breath it's almost 2011

Went to the Limit reunion and met up with people i hadent seen for over 23yrs really good night and even better that we still reconised each other. Me n RockDeb had fun dancing like we were 18 to Slits,Cramps, Banshees to name but a few. Next day i was sooo knacked lol.

I also rememember those bring a toy punk nights fantastic times .

Jeez there's a walk in the past my mate Cressy and i used to meet you guys on the moor and hang out at Woolworths cafe, and another one in a retail place, i knew Big john well we went to a few parties together, and Longy always scared me with his drugs i was never into em but was a sound guy always fancied me lol that scared me too....I am sure i heard he was dead!!

Big Hugs John AKA Walt

This is probably in the wrong place, im computer illiterate...Anyway, lots of talk about Dingwall's I went to lots of gigs there. Nobody else mentioned Wilko Johnson's Solid Senders...I was there, was anyone else??

Also, to those of you who missed Daisy's home coming in June......Shame on you, and what a night it was!

Jeez there's a walk in the past my mate Cressy and i used to meet you guys on the moor and hang out at Woolworths cafe, and another one in a retail place, i knew Big john well we went to a few parties together, and Longy always scared me with his drugs i was never into em but was a sound guy always fancied me lol that scared me too....I am sure i heard he was dead!!

Big Hugs John AKA Walt

yeah sadly chris long died a few years back, great bloke, pity the drugs and booze finally got him in the end