Graves Park, Leave your memories here

i was there aswell also used to wag school there .

woody is in aystralia he's on friends reunited, robbo lives on hazelbarrow crescent jordanthorpe, skin i saw on woodseats in wetherspoons at christmas .

robbo's son jordan is a united player currently on loan at dundee united.

I might know u then if you know them!I used to knock around with Skin mainly,we lived on same street.

Graves Park is still a fantastic place to visit. Until recently I used to take classes of children there to see the posts of the old packhorse bridge (road from London to Buxton I was told) and kids would visualise the highwaymen, horses and riders, carriages etc.

Where exactly are these posts please?

Those posts are dotted about the place (Dyche lane was part of the old route)- near the bottom of the 'flying field' and on the path below the Charles Ashmore car park.

They're usually hidden in overgrown greenery.

used to live on the corner of Little Norton Lane, with a path down to Charles Ashmore Road, From 1948 to 1961 cant remember a day we were not in Graves Park. My childhood was spent there, can remember watching the local lads play footie, above the boating lake and ice skating on it in the winter. What wonderful memories l have of that place.

My mother would take me and my sister for walks in Graves Park when I was a child. (we only lived on 't'Valley) We spent a lot of time there as it was our nearest park.

I remember being about three, and having a football that I took with me to play with. We went by the pond, and dropped it. It rolled into the water. A boy, who was a bit older tried to get it back for me, using his fishing tackle. He fell in the water, as did his rod. :( I don't think he got it back! :(

Graves Park in the late 1940's and early 50's was a wonderful place to play tennis.The courts were well maintained. If the courts were not all in use, the park keeper would allow you to stay on the court until the next group arrived to play.I remember playing there for several hours a day during the summer school vacations.The park was also a beautiful place for a stroll with a girlfriend.I have not seen the park for well over 50 years ,I wonder how it looks now.

Is it my imagination, but on the Chesterfield Road/ Meadowhead side, wasn't there some kind of overgrown concrete amphitheatre ??

We used to knock around in Graves Park in the late 70's & early 80's.Poaching in the boating lake with a handline,and the park patrol used to chase us on his motorbike,and sat on the benches in the pavilion smoking,and it was freezing!!

We used to sink the rowing boat round the back,then climb over the fence and run off!

Does anyone remember Charlie(i think it was),who manned the hut?

Does anyone know Rupert,Woody,Nipper,C.O.,Skin,Robbo??

'LOL' :hihi: 'Park Patrol 'I was one of them (for 17 yr), if the truth be known we had as much fun chasing you,

as you had :hihi:.

Them of us whom are still on the job 'only 4' (now Rangers) often reminisce them good old days.

Troubles on the Graves Park area run (all parkland etc in S8/7) was always mild compared with some of the other area runs, if I got that area I always knew I was in for a easy day or night (we did shifts then).

Ay them old Triumph thunderbirds & Boni's, :(.

Whats ur name? I'v probably got it in my old report book ???

'only kidding' ;)

I couldn't spell then ether :blush:

Is it my imagination, but on the Chesterfield Road/ Meadowhead side, wasn't there some kind of overgrown concrete amphitheatre ??

'Yes' :):):)

There was a nine hole golf course in the park when I was a kid. Par 3 was about 150 yards. You could rent a couple of clubs and a ball for about sixpence. great fun.

We used to go to Graves Park a lot when I was little and walk round the animals on a Sunday afternoon. Learnt a lot as well about the place because my great-grandad was park keeper there at some point (during the war I believe), so my grandad has told me a few tales of the place. Went a lot last year during summer as well, nice place for an afternoon walk so I expect when the weather picks up I'll be there again :)