Graves Park, Leave your memories here

How many of you have memories of Graves Park ? Used to live a 20 minute walk down Derbyshire Lane from the Park...We used to drive the Parky's mad when we would let the rowing boats loose , then we would put potatoes in the exhausts of their cars ...LOL

I knew every inch of that Park because I used have have to walk it from Rowlinson when i had spent my bus fare and couldn't cadge 2p ...

Who can forget the sloping football pitches ?

The pitch and putt ?

Leave your memories here

Regards Canada Blade

Brude chose Graves park as a good venue for running off on one particular visit :mad:

That resulted in him being left in the car when we got home and fed considerably later than usual :rolleyes:

The way to a beagle's brain is through his stomach :hihi:

We found a loose dog (bedlington terrier kind of thing) there once and took it to the police station :(

Fishing with a hand line in the boating lake (which was strictly forbidden) and getting chased by the parkies.

Buying ice cream from the pavilion on a hot day.

Collecting conkers by throwing sticks up into the chestnut trees on Bunting Nook (the strangely-named lane which ran alongside Graves Park from Hemsworth Road to Matthews Lane)

Walking up through the ravine and the woods at the Woodseats end of the park. It seemed magical when we were young.

The paddling stream at the Woodseats entrance.

I was asked to design some furniture based on an animal for a college project, so whilst the rest of the class were copying stuff from books, I took my camera to visit the Heilan Coos up there :thumbsup:

Graves Park is still a fantastic place to visit. Until recently I used to take classes of children there to see the posts of the old packhorse bridge (road from London to Buxton I was told) and kids would visualise the highwaymen, horses and riders, carriages etc.

We used to measure the circumference of trees, do bark rubbings and look at leaf shapes and talk about seed dispersal etc.

We would do a treasure hunt around the 'Rose Gardens', have a picnic, visit the 'Rare Breeds' centre and walk back down the 'Ravine'. Rangers told the children the ravine was formed about a quarter of a million years ago and the children were really fascinated by the fact that they were looking at something so old.

There were some fantastic seats and sculpture created using fallen tree trunks and lots of species of water fowl etc to look at.

There is a story that 'birds never sing in Bunting Nook woods' - have you ever heard that one? Is it true? Why?

Didn't move to Sheffield until the late 60's, so I missed out on seeing the 'open air' theatre there - shame it wasn't maintained!

Yeah! Thanks for reminding us Canadablade - Graves Park is a fantastic asset to Sheffield.

My memory is of a group of us escaping from boring lessons at college and sitting in the Park with two litre bottles of v'cheap lager and cider, then trying to sink each other on boating lake.

Then trying to get on the bus home soaked through and half cut

Sooo many good memories, what happened? how did I get so boring?

:thumbsup::) Every sunday afternoon a crowd of us would go up for a game of footy on the field just above the boating lake.

The girls would be sat on the benches chattin whilst us guys were playing lots used to go up and it would finish up about 20 a side lol. but we had fun. I had one of those Dansette trannys and we would all be gathered round it listening to the pop charts. Remember Alan Freeman. Hi there pop pickers:clap:

When i was little my grandma, mum, little sister and i would all walk from blackstock road up to graves park every sunday. For some strange reason i never remember it raining. It was always sunny. We would walk up and go around the animals holding our noses, then walk to the big house and i would get a feast icecream with my mum and my grandma and sister would get a twister.

We would walk and feed the ducks then walk down to the bowling bit and the bloke who had the little hut there would try to chat my nan up every weekend! We would watch all the lil old men play bowls then walk home.

Probably not much interest to anyone else but it always makes me all fuzzy when i remember how nice it was.

More recently i had some driving lessons up in the car park bit and once almost hit a goat that was wandering around and had excaped the animal bit.

Graves park, the most beautiful place in Sheffield- I grew up opposite that wonderful park and walked/played/cycled in and through it for decades.

Shameful how the Council funding let it decline (bonfires, boats and almost Tennis courts no more...)

Used to enjoy going through it on the way to/from school (Rolo)...

We used to knock around in Graves Park in the late 70's & early 80's.Poaching in the boating lake with a handline,and the park patrol used to chase us on his motorbike,and sat on the benches in the pavilion smoking,and it was freezing!!

We used to sink the rowing boat round the back,then climb over the fence and run off!

Does anyone remember Charlie(i think it was),who manned the hut?

Does anyone know Rupert,Woody,Nipper,C.O.,Skin,Robbo??

We used to knock around in Graves Park in the late 70's & early 80's.Poaching in the boating lake with a handline,and the park patrol used to chase us on his motorbike,and sat on the benches in the pavilion smoking,and it was freezing!!

We used to sink the rowing boat round the back,then climb over the fence and run off!

Does anyone remember Charlie(i think it was),who manned the hut?

Does anyone know Rupert,Woody,Nipper,C.O.,Skin,Robbo??

i was there aswell also used to wag school there .

woody is in aystralia he's on friends reunited, robbo lives on hazelbarrow crescent jordanthorpe, skin i saw on woodseats in wetherspoons at christmas .

robbo's son jordan is a united player currently on loan at dundee united.

How many of you have memories of Graves Park ? Used to live a 20 minute walk down Derbyshire Lane from the Park...We used to drive the Parky's mad when we would let the rowing boats loose , then we would put potatoes in the exhausts of their cars ...LOL

I knew every inch of that Park because I used have have to walk it from Rowlinson when i had spent my bus fare and couldn't cadge 2p ...

Who can forget the sloping football pitches ?

The pitch and putt ?

Leave your memories here

Regards Canada Blade

how old are you cb?. i went to rowlinson i'm 49 in june.