Numptys driving in fog with no lights on!

When I drove back from Bradfield on Bonfire Night, there was terrible fog in the higher parts. I could literally see nothing except the grass verges either side. It was quite scary.

Unfortunatley my OH had forgotten where the switch for the fog lights was, and I was too busy concentrating on following the edges of the road!

It used to make me laugh when I fitted towbars for a living....you'd get helpful customers offering to operate the lights whilst I tested the electrics.

Side Lights - Check

Left Indicator - Check

Right Indicator - Check.

Hazards - Check

Brake Lights - Check

Fog Lights.....

...Fog Lights??

err.....where are they?

right, magilla, neeeeeek and the rest of those who said was not bad on the saturday in question. where do you live then on top of a hill. cos where I am and where I was driving there was bad fog. very bad. some parts were fine no fog at all but then a pocket of thick fog would envelope you and THEN you WOULD defo need fog lights on. was no fog really where my mum and dad live but at my end of town was very very bad. a bit of a rainy mist does not constitute using fog lights I agree but thick flipping fog does!! ok rant over.

the fog was so bad were we live that that night we didnt venture out. our drive is about 500 yards long and even going up that was bad enough never mind out on the road, which is busy at the best of times. the fog was so bad that day that there was an accident just near the top of my drive. three cars. range rover at the back taking no notice of what was in front of him, speeding in the BAD fog ran in to one car, which then ended up in the back of the car in front of him. luckily a paramedic was parked just opposite. saw the whole thing.

so yes in my opinion it was very bad fog.

not being a driver - i wouldn't notice this too much - but when I'm nearly knocked over by a cyclist, on a pavement with no lights - it properly annoys me. fairplay, the roads are dangerous, but if you can't be seen on a pavement, it can only cause more problems.

It's not just on the pavement, Circa, and you can forget the fog as well.....

The number of cyclists riding around in the dark without any lights on, front or back, is astounding.

I damn near hit one the other night - and to make matters worse he was wearing grey clothing, so merged even better into the murky background.

Maybe it'll need one or two of 'em to get wiped in order for the message to get through?

Driving back over the M6 in Cumbria from my wedding, in appalling conditions - gale force winds, driving torrential rain and very low cloud, overtaking artics out of necessity to improve what bit of visibility there was - I annoyed myself by switching on the rear fog light, but felt the need to as I was having difficulty seeing vehicles in front, so decided to make sure people behind could see me. Unfortunately on hubby's car, the foglights are on a rocker switch and you only get the rear fog light on after turning the front ones on. But even on a day like that (I'm a very confident driver but have to admit to being a bit nervy about that journey, and I never ever drive with both hands on the steering wheel any more, but felt a distinct need to try and keep the car on the road) there were still drivers - and many of them lorry drivers - without lights on and idiots blasting up the BMW lane at 70+ mph with and without lights on! At one point over the M6 summit I think I was down to less than 40mph, but it was preferable to killing myself and the hubster less than 24 hours after tying the knot!!!

Personally, in fog, as long as I can see other cars at a reasonable distance I never use my rear fog light, just my headlights.

the fog was so bad were we live that that night we didnt venture out. our drive is about 500 yards long and even going up that was bad enough never mind out on the road, which is busy at the best of times.

Nothing wrong with using fog lights when needed. For you a good rule would be that if you can see more than two thirds of the way along your drive then you don't need fog lights on.

When I see people with their rear fog lights on I wonder what sort of logic they apply to making other decisions when driving and I have noticed they are mainly in small hatchbacks (not exclusively though). I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles over 34 years and I have never used rear fog lights and only ever used front ones once which was a couple of years ago in France when visibility was so bad on a country lane I had to drive at walking speed. They weren't all that effective and definitely don't make any difference in most fog.