Numptys driving in fog with no lights on!

on saturday, the day with bad fog!. was amazed at how many cars on the road driving with no fog lights on. unbelievable. do they not realise the dangers or are they just stupid. the fog was bad.

It's all subjective though. I drove from Mexborough to Grimsby - it was foggy on the motorways and visibility was reduced (compared to a normal late autumn day) but I could still make out car lights from several hundred feet away so fog lights were unnecessary in my opinion. And the lower your speed, the worse the fog needs to be for fog lights to be required.

No doubt some other people thought I was being silly for not using them, but then those same people would probably put their fog lights on at the tiniest hint of reduced visibility... So there :)

People seem to use fog lights all the time at the moment. Front fog lights seem to be out in force this winter, even when there's no fog at all.

Inner city the visibility would have to be practically zero to necessitate fog lights. If you can see normal lights at distance, or you're in queuing traffic, then fog lights shouldn't be on.

The only times I've ever really needed my fog lights have been on the M62 or on the Snake Pass at certain times. Never needed them in Sheffield, and i'm amazed at how many people do not know when to use them and turn them on at the first sign of mist! Idiots, they just blind you and make it hard to see when people are braking... making it more dangerous.

on saturday, the day with bad fog!. was amazed at how many cars on the road driving with no fog lights on. unbelievable. do they not realise the dangers or are they just stupid. the fog was bad. those numptys should be taking theory tests, cos they no idea of the rules of driving in fog. mind you lots of peeps drivin in rain and no lights on, when they should be on in rain.

The fog wasn't that bad, could easily see over 100 meters..

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069859

I take the viewpoint that even if I can see over 100 metres, there's no guarantee that everyone else on the road can - take this guy for instance http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/7699144.stm

Personally, my headlights go on as soon as it's even slightly dark/reduced visibility (never bother with sidelights). It's worth doing everything to try and make sure others can see me, even if I can see fine. That's the point that some people seem to miss.