The "It's snowing!" and all things snow thread

hey kimba. thanks for the warm welcome. i need all the warmth i can get in this weather! :P

Sheer desperation has led me here! first time posting n all that.

I need to get to Sheffield tomorrow evening and Tuesday evening from Stockport.

What do you reckon? Any advice/ suggestions/ anything at all would be massively appreciated. Ta! x

M60 to the M62.

M62 to Leeds

M1 to Sheffield.

I've done Didsbury-Sheffield in the snow in 1993 and got half way along Snake and been sent to Woodhead, got a few miles in to that and been sent back and ended up going on the motorway.

It's longer, but if any roads are open it'll be them, and it's quicker than trying three different routes!

It might be a bit lairy over Saddleworth though, but then it always is!

I usually go over Snake Pass but I reckon there might be a little problem with that...

I have been down Winnat's Pass in Castleton but this will probably be even worse.

I could head down the A6 and cross the peaks on the A623 via Dore and Eyam and Sparrowpit.

Or head north to join Woodhead Pass A628 in Glossop and come off near Langsett heading for Stocksbridge.

What do you reckon? Any advice/ suggestions/ anything at all would be massively appreciated. Ta! x

I think you will be fine by tomorrow evening. If not go via the motorway it will be easier and less stressful. I have only done it once during snow and I could not get down the hill at castleton and ended up going up through sparrow pit, not something I will ever do again :lol:

Well i can see why you call it "your baby" its very very very small......im 6ft1 and wouldnt fit it lmao.

I usually go over Snake Pass but I reckon there might be a little problem with that...

I have been down Winnat's Pass in Castleton but this will probably be even worse.

I could head down the A6 and cross the peaks on the A623 via Dore and Eyam and Sparrowpit.

Or head north to join Woodhead Pass A628 in Glossop and come off near Langsett heading for Stocksbridge.

I'd listen to the reports on the local radio, to see what they say closer to the time you are travelling. If in doubt, but still wishing/needing to travel, I'd go M60 - M62 - M1 - Junction 33 - Parkway. A long way round, but the flattest, straightest roads, and the least likely to be forced shut by a single event (eg a heavy goods vehicle skidding or getting stuck). Good luck.

Edit. If the weather and roads are OK on the M1, then come off at juntion 36. If not, stay on until 34 or 33.

Edited by Eater Sundae
added a bit

id avoid the woodhead , and maybe go M62 M1

id avoid the woodhead , and maybe go M62 M1

i heard they grit woodhead pass though, and didnt think theyd closed it yet this year

is it too risky?

using the M62 looks like a massive diversion on the map... ! :confused:

In that case then what you must do if your car starts to slide is to use what is called cadence braking, and that means hitting your brakes on and off to allow your front wheels to steer.

If you brake and the front wheels lock then you will not be able to steer as the wheels will just slide.

It may seem a bit scary to remove your foot from the brake when you are wanting to stop, but believe me it really works and has got me out of trouble many times.

Thank you .. I'll try and remember that.

i heard they grit woodhead pass though, and didnt think theyd closed it yet this year

is it too risky?

using the M62 looks like a massive diversion on the map... ! :confused:

It is a lot further, but if the weather is bad, you'll be travelling a lot faster on the motorways than you would over woodhead. Also, if the weather is so bad that you are very slow on the motorway, then I don't think you'd get through over Woodhead.