The "It's snowing!" and all things snow thread

I've never driven in the snow before ...

I've got to go down a long and steep and windey hill .. at the best of times it's 3rd gear and 2nd on the tight corners ... what's the best way to do this in snow that has settled on the road and hasn't had many cars on it?

very heavy here-new snow on top of whats already there:gag:

Snowing quite heavy in Woodhouse, supposed to be going out in a bit so hopefully roads will stay clear. Anyone know if the gritters are out?

Edited by Proc

I don't know .. I've never driven in the snow !! I'm going down a steep and windy hill that requires 3rd and 2nd gear at the best of times ..

Advice please?

You have basically got to stop the wheels from sliding.

The general rule on the flat and uphill is to use as high a gear as possible so that the torque (twisting force) at the wheels is reduced, thus making them less likely to spin.

Going downhill is a different matter.

In that case you are effectively braking all the way down, either by applying the brakes, or by using the braking effect of the engine (which is why you normally do it in a low gear)

The key is to use as little braking as possible so as not to cause the wheels to lock up, but remaining in control so that you can stop to let traffic coming up the hill past (they will find it hard/impossible to start again if the hill is steep and slippery)

The best thing to do is not go down it - if it is at the start of your journey move your car to the bottom of it now and start from there. If you can't avoid going down take it as slowly as possible and try not to change speed on it - if you choose to go down in 1st (and that doesn't create too much braking to make the wheels lock) then be in first before you get to the hill, rather than having to slow down once you are on it.

half of shef might just stop......but then maybe thats because its cold lol ........and kimba, do you ever like work :)

snowing heavier here now white over in wadsley - gritter just been up the main road

'You have basically got to stop the wheels from sliding.'

I'd never thought of that.

Perhaps if you spent less time exorcising the demons of your school days by having a go at teachers every post you'd be able to think about all sorts of other things, and perhaps even make meaningful contributions to threads?

Perhaps if you spent less time exorcising the demons of your school days by having a go at teachers every post you'd be able to think about all sorts of other things, and perhaps even make meaningful contributions to threads?

Calm down dear.:hihi:

That will never happen "little buzz" i think school dinners has made "hoddock" slightly mad :)

Saffy does your car have ABS?

No :( it's a little N reg micra - and it's not got a mark on it .. and I want it to stay that way :( - haha .. I'm laughing, but actually feel sick inside.

Edited by Saffy