The "It's snowing!" and all things snow thread

i heard they grit woodhead pass though, and didnt think theyd closed it yet this year

is it too risky?

using the M62 looks like a massive diversion on the map... ! :confused:

the woodhead is quickest ,its open ,but not sure of how much snow is up there

Thank you .. I'll try and remember that.

Is there no way to detour round and approach you destination from another direction, so avoiding the steep hill?

Originally Posted by samwells

Sheer desperation has led me here! first time posting n all that.

I need to get to Sheffield tomorrow evening and Tuesday evening from Stockport.

What do you reckon? Any advice/ suggestions/ anything at all would be massively appreciated. Ta! x

M60 to the M62.

M62 to Leeds

M1 to Sheffield.

I've done Didsbury-Sheffield in the snow in 1993 and got half way along Snake and been sent to Woodhead, got a few miles in to that and been sent back and ended up going on the motorway.

It's longer, but if any roads are open it'll be them, and it's quicker than trying three different routes!

It might be a bit lairy over Saddleworth though, but then it always is!

My advice is check the forecast before you set off, the current forecast is for a "winter storm" Monday evening for our region but at this stage they are not sure how far north it will reach North, if it does come up the conditions will be atrocious, and I would'nt bother with your trip, be aware drifting if it gets to us and u don't want to trapped in your car between manchester and sheffield if it gets to us!!

the woodhead is quickest ,its open ,but not sure of how much snow is up there

well i'm in no rush tomorrow, so i think I'll try woodhead. if its awful, i'll use the motorways on tuesday when i'm against the clock (eek! :loopy:)

Thank you so much for your help everyone. I'll let you know how i got on tomorrow.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

My advice is check the forecast before you set off, the current forecast is for a "winter storm" Monday evening for our region but at this stage they are not sure how far north it will reach North, if it does come up the conditions will be atrocious, and I would'nt bother with your trip, be aware drifting if it gets to us and u don't want to trapped in your car between manchester and sheffield if it gets to us!!

You're scaring me now! Its an essential trip but thanks for your concern. I'll watch the skies, listen to the radio and bear the motorways in mind if it starts looking bad

Thanks again!

You're scaring me now! Its an essential trip but thanks for your concern. I'll watch the skies, listen to the radio and bear the motorways in mind if it starts looking bad

Thanks again!

Just pop BBC1 NEWS/WEATHER ON TV or net ,it explains what I have just outlined be careful!

I'm not making any recommendations but a few years ago I was on my way back from Liverpool on the M62 in a blizzard when I heard on the CB that the motorway had closed at Windy Hill, I diverted off on to the A62 and eventually made it home while hundreds of cars and trucks were stranded on Hartshead Moor services for three days.

I'm not making any recommendations but a few years ago I was on my way back from Liverpool on the M62 in a blizzard when I heard on the CB that the motorway had closed at Windy Hill, I diverted off on to the A62 and eventually made it home while hundreds of cars and trucks were stranded on Hartshead Moor services for three days.

is it still snowing in Chap?

is it still snowing in Chap?

Heavy!!!!!

It's white again in Worrall and snowing steadily - I live on a steep hill that becomes a bob sleigh run when it snows - and all our grit bins are empty!