What's with all the smokers outside the hospitals?

You have put a silly twist on everything I said.

For instance when I said'

'It might be a good idea if the smokers, who simply must smoke, did cross the road themselves, to somewhere less likely to bother others or cause congestion; did their mothers never tell them it is rude to stand in doorways'.

You must have realised that I was talking about these smokers who block the entrance ways to the hospital, which is after all what this thread is all about.

Yet you twist it to having a non-smoking and a smoking side of the road, how perfectly ridiculous.

Some people posting after you now think you are saying the opposite of your intentions, quoting you, when you where actually quoting me. It has sunk to the level of a farce.

What annoys me more than anything about your statement is that you are generalising all smokers, not all smokers ignore the rules. Most smokers follow the rules that have been enforced on us. There are some what will always break the rules no matter what the sign says or what peoples opinions of them are, thats life.

I personally would not smoke anywhere that i have been asked not too.

If you don't want people to argue the point with you and disagree with you, then you should'nt make such stupid statements like "Walking across the road", why should they just because non smokers think they are better people than smokers.

There would probably be someone on the opposite side of the road who would object too, call it sarcasm whatever you like.

Im sure these people don't get in the way on purpose, and if you asked them nicely they would move aside for you.

What annoys me more than anything about your statement is that you are generalising all smokers, not all smokers ignore the rules. Most smokers follow the rules that have been enforced on us. There are some what will always break the rules no matter what the sign says or what peoples opinions of them are, thats life.

If you don't want people to argue the point with you and disagree with you, then you should'nt make such stupid statements like "Walking across the road", why should they just because non smokers think they are better people than smokers.

There would probably be someone on the opposite side of the road who would object too, call it sarcasm whatever you like.

Im sure these people don't get in the way on purpose, and if you asked them nicely they would move aside for you.

if it was anywhere else then fair enough but remember there are people going to hospital to treat health problems such as asthma, lung problems, or where newborn babies are, therefore it is not only an annoyance but affecting their health further. im sure in a different circumstance these people would avoid the smokers but you cant if you have to walk through them to get in the doors.

But you would deny your non-smoking patients the right to have a few minutes fresh air away from the ward? you would deny your non smoking patients a few minutes outside to use their mobile phone without being smoked all over? If they are so ill that they cannot walk to the end of the road or even just a few metres further than the door (or be wheeled in a wheelchair) then should they be leaving the ward in the first place? You would deny visitors who are hugely stressed or may even have just lost a relative the chance to wait for their taxi without being smoked all over? Face it, the pickup point is outside the doors - why should it be the non smokers and the visitors, and the ambulance drivers that have to move so that smokers can aggresively break the law and have a puff?

and to all the people who say "yeah but hospital is stressful so we have a right to smoke outside the doors" or equivilent - what about: hospital is stressful and the last thing a non smoker wants is to have smokers breathing stale fag smoke all over them while they deal with their stress, and to be aggressively verbally attacked if they kindly ask them to move? I sincerely hope you are not a nurse or equivilent, and that you never look after me if you are.

Tell that to a dying patient! And visitors can more than likely move on further than the doors. Also the patients who go down for a smoke are desparate and i do agree with you that non smoking patients are put out but it is rare they want to go out and maybe it is because of the smokers but alot of them just don't want or are too poorly but like i said the smokers are desparate.

Did you miss the point where i said it annoys me too!

Yes i am a nurse and a good highly appreciated one aswell there is absolutley no need for nasty comments about my proffesion and weather i'm good at it BECAUSE I CAN'T BE NARROWMINDED AND HAVE TO LOOK AT IT FROM BOTH SIDES! but you can carry on being like that i think you should change your name from nerd to arrogant.

And i now hope i DO look after you lol:twisted:

What are you talking about!

I never said what you say.

I am on about smokers in hospital door way entrance's, they have abused people asking them to not congregate in the entrance.

If they moved somewhere out of peoples way there would be no problem.

Problem is they don't want to go any further than they think. They think smoking right outside the door is legal; but it is not.

Some hospital staff have given up asking them to move because of threats from these 'minority' of nasty smokers, some staff it is reported have been so badly affected that they have resigned.

Thirty odd years ago there were smoke rooms on every ward, If you smoked you went in them if you didnt then you stayed out, everyone was happy. Sorry but its the do gooders in this world who have created this problem with smokers stood outside hospital doorways and on the street, Im sure the do gooders live perfect lives themselves, It's time they got over themselves and leave people alone to live their own lives.

It makes me smile because at my work our boss has had a shelter made for smokers to go into so that we are not smoking in the staff room because of the new laws. Guess what even the non smokers come out to the "Smoke shelter" because they would rather have our company than sit alone in the staff room with no one to talk too. Yes their are more smokers than non smokers at my work.

I bet the do gooders go home and have a nice drink of wine or whatever drink they fancy at the end of the day to relieve stress. Lets get a law against that, shut all the pubs and ban alcohol. Make the filthy drinker suffer, no i don't drink very often so it really wouldnt bother me at all, but take something away from someone that does and there are bound to be irrate people telling the do gooders to get on their bike and go bother someone else.

Why should someone care about a complete stranger having a fag, it's none of your business, it's their life. If you dont like it then cross the road, its the do gooders fault in the first place that they have to walk past someone with a fag in one hand and a drip in the other stood on the street outside the hospitals, at least years ago we could go into our little smoke rooms and didnt even have to set eyes on the oh so disapproving ones, and they could go about their little perfect lives unhindered by us filthy smokers.

Every smoker in the world knows its bad for them to smoke and they may end up with a deadly disease, so may non smokers who have never smoked in their lives, but of course it will be blamed on the smoker anyway because of passive smoking, wasnt their fault.

Both my parents died of cancer, both none smoking related, but they both smoked at some time in their lives would you have refused them treatment aswell, just because they used to smoke?

My relative at the moment is dying of testicular cancer, he smokes and he drinks, but his lungs and kidneys and liver are perfectly fine, would you do gooders refuse him treatment? and leave him in pain because he smokes?

Get off your high horse and get on with your own lives and leave other people to their own.

Bellstar, you seem to be totally missing the point - smoking outside the hospital doors is illegal now for a start, what I was saying is why do they have to congregate outside the doors, and why do they turn so aggresive if you politely ask them to move? It is not like you are asking a lot, if you request them to please move away from the doors. I am genuinly shocked at the vitriolic repsonses from some people to what seems a perfectly reasonable comment.

I am not saying people shouldn't smoke if they want to, all I am saying is why smoke in an area where it does affect other people who ahve no choice whether or not to be there? and why be so aggresive when asked to move?

I agree (as I said before) that it would be better if smokers did have somewhere to go, either a smoking room indoors, or a bus shelter type structure outdoors. I appreciate that a smoker who is stressed may feel they need to go and smoke, and to be with other smokers, and I appreciate also that in soe enviromments non smokers do go out into the smoking area with smokers, but we are talking about a hospital, somewhere full of ill people, and I do not think it is too much to expect smokers to at least show some consideration and move away from the doors, even if they cannot obey the law. Is that really so unreasonable?

Tell that to a dying patient! And visitors can more than likely move on further than the doors. Also the patients who go down for a smoke are desparate and i do agree with you that non smoking patients are put out but it is rare they want to go out and maybe it is because of the smokers but alot of them just don't want or are too poorly but like i said the smokers are desparate.

Did you miss the point where i said it annoys me too!

Yes i am a nurse and a good highly appreciated one aswell there is absolutley no need for nasty comments about my proffesion and weather i'm good at it BECAUSE I CAN'T BE NARROWMINDED AND HAVE TO LOOK AT IT FROM BOTH SIDES! but you can carry on being like that i think you should change your name from nerd to arrogant.

And i now hope i DO look after you lol:twisted:

Are you threatening me?

Treatment of smoking related diseases cost the NHS more than the revenue from tobacco tax (I haven't got the figures to hand at the moment, sorry!).

I'm sure we've been here before BeckyB:suspect::hihi:

Tobacco tax in the UK provides around £10 billion per annum. The NHS costs around £100 billion.

So smokers are responsible for soaking up more than 10% of the entire NHS budget?!? :confused:

If there was more money spent on 'smoker' patients than they [smokers] pay out, I would bet my left arm, that tobacco tax would rise to over-ride the deficit. (source- ash:hihi:)

Smoking kills, as we know. It costs the NHS a small fortune – up to £1.7 billion annually - to treat smoking-related diseases such as cancer, bronchitis and other side-effects such as cardio-vascular disease.
source

In the UK, the tobacco industry generated over £10bn in tax revenue in 1998, enough to pay for three quarters of the Education and Employment Budget.
source

2006-07 £billions

8.1 Excise

1.9 VAT

10.0 Total

HM Customs

I'm sure we've been here before BeckyB:suspect::hihi:

Tobacco tax in the UK provides around £10 billion per annum. The NHS costs around £100 billion.

So smokers are responsible for soaking up more than 10% of the entire NHS budget?!? :confused:

If there was more money spent on 'smoker' patients than they [smokers] pay out, I would bet my left arm, that tobacco tax would rise to over-ride the deficit. (source- ash:hihi:)

source

source

HM Customs

I think we have too :D Maybe my lecturer was mis-informed (and I can't find the lecture notes to follow up the source of her information now I've finished the course!).

I'm sure the figures she had were that there were only £800 million from tobacco tax - that can't be in total, perhaps it was the amount that went back into the NHS budget?

Anyhow, maybe this will give me incentive to sort out my study :help:

Ok, a new day.

The general hostile attitude towards smokers is what gets me riled.

If there was a designated area for smokers outside and away from the entrances, there would not be a problem and smokers would not be stood at the entrance to the hospital getting in the way and annoying non smokers. They have managed to do it for pubs and work places, why not hospitals. It could be just a shelter well away from the hospital building, and non smokers would not have to go anywhere near it if they didnt want too.

No one ever wants to visit or be a patient at a hospital if they can possibly avoid it, It's a stressful time for all concerned, and to deny somone who is a smoker a cigarette, at the most stressful time in their lives is wrong. Ok visitors to the hospital could wait until they are away from the hospital grounds, but patients who have no choice but to be there should have somewhere to go if they want.

I admit that it does look awful when someone in their PJ's and slippers and a drip in their arm are sat outside smoking, but im afraid like i said before the dogooders have caused this situation themselves Give them a designated area and they won't be stood blocking the gateways and entrances. The attitude towards smoking from non smokers will never be resolved, and there will be hostilities on both sides.

There will always be people with bad attitudes in this world, smokers and non smokers, catch them at the wrong moment in their lives and you will get pounced on especially if you are telling them to do something they don't want to do at that particular moment, but having said that most people will do what you ask, if asked in the proper manner.

We all try as best we can to accommodate each other to make this a happy life for everybody, whatever someone does, it's going to annoy someone else at some point and we all have different view points on things. It's the way people approach a situation and their attitude towards it that shows the result you want.

So when you start a thread that is bound to be heated on both sides of the fence, (because we all have our own thaughts and attitudes towards the subject) expect a little flack back, and don't expect everyone on the forum to agree or be nice and give you a solution to the problem because at the moment there isn't one on this subject, apart from a little understanding and tolerance from smokers and non smokers.

Anyone got any ideas on how to stop this from happening?:rant::rant:

Lobby your MP for a change in the anti-smoking laws, so that buildings can have designate smoking areas/rooms.

That way, you won't be offended by seeing people enjoyng a smoke:|

oxygen/drips whats it matter.if they didnt't smoke then they might not be in hospital and who's paying for the treatment.

Then again, they may be in hospital for a totally different reason than smoking related:rolleyes:

you know the highly pressurised flammable gas

Oxygen is not combustible, it is an accelerant.

I guess they have stopped teaching even basic chemistry since I left school:|

I felt like disconnecting his drip.

And people say smokers are nasty and anti-social:rolleyes:

you know the highly pressurised flammable gas

Oxygen is not combustible, it is an accelerant.

I guess they have stopped teaching even basic chemistry since I left school:|

I felt like disconnecting his drip.

And people say smokers are nasty and anti-social:rolleyes:

Are you threatening me?

I take it you don't understand humour:rolleyes:

Ok, a new day.

The general hostile attitude towards smokers is what gets me riled.

There will always be people with bad attitudes in this world, smokers and non smokers, catch them at the wrong moment in their lives and you will get pounced on especially if you are telling them to do something they don't want to do at that particular moment, but having said that most people will do what you ask, if asked in the proper manner.

So when you start a thread that is bound to be heated on both sides of the fence, (because we all have our own thaughts and attitudes towards the subject) expect a little flack back, and don't expect everyone on the forum to agree or be nice and give you a solution to the problem because at the moment there isn't one on this subject, apart from a little understanding and tolerance from smokers and non smokers.

You are contradicting yourself here in two seperate pargraphs.

In the first.

... (not word for word)

'people of all sorts with a bad attitudes, but most people will do

what you ask , if you ask in the proper manner' .

Then in the second paragraph you say,

'don't expect everyone on the forum to agree or be nice and give you a solution to the problem because at the moment there isn't one on this subject, apart from a little understanding and tolerance from smokers and non smokers.'.

People have asked the smokers not to stand in the doorway politely, they have been abused.

They have tried asking the smokers to not block the doorways by using authority, employing staff to try and enforce the law, pointing out the problems to the smokers; they were also abused, some have quit their jobs because of this particular abuse.

What in your opinion is the 'proper manner' to ask these smokers to desist?

You say there is no solution to this problem (at the moment).

You say we should expect some posters not to be nice replying to threads such as this.

No one expects 'nice' on any forum, most of us, I suspect, just want a sensible debate, and respect for other peoples opinions.

There are people who believe that they have the answers to most things. Sometimes it is a way (debate) of reaching the answer to a problem.

I offer my opinions for free (put your money away) for simple matters like this.

My opinion is for smokers to move away from the doors, a few feet would help.

another idea : when certain groups of people need a problem sorting, that requires funding, they form together and put pressure on to MPs, or they band their financial clout together and pay for the solution from their own and collected monies.

If you don't think much of my ideas or opinions feel free to say so, but please be polite... my team got beat again last night and I got two more job refusal letters:(