What's with all the smokers outside the hospitals?

I think that it's time that people were made to be responsible for their actions that's all.

If they smoke then become ill as a result they shouldn't expect the rest of us to pay for their medical treatment.

It's all about being responsible for yourself and I'm sick of the general attitude nowadays that you can do what you like and everyone else has to tolerate it.

Why should I have to walk through a cloud of smokers to get into a hospital of all places!!

I agree that people should take responsibility for their own health - and it's reflected in the training of healthcare practitioners these days.

It's a difficult moral issue to deny treatment to people because of lifestyle choices, though I think that people who persist in an activity that is directly causing their illness are mad and/or stupid...

Treatment of smoking related diseases cost the NHS more than the revenue from tobacco tax (I haven't got the figures to hand at the moment, sorry!).

The reason people smoke, even after all the evidence that it is harmful to our health, is beyond me.

Medical evidence has brought about the no smoking ban in enclosed public spaces.

People smoking in door ways looks very seedy, but smoking in hospital doorways not only looks pathetic but it is also a public space and should not be allowed.

This business of hospital staff not wanting to enforce the removal of smokers due to threats from the smokers is unbelievable.

Well obviously I can believe anything these days, but surely sanctions should be applied to these people making threats to health workers and other ancillary staff.

Why do we in Britain put up with such nonsense?

The hospitals are there to bring humans back to good health,

smoking damages humans’ health can we not simply join the dots ourselves?

Some people say bring back smoke rooms.

Common sense says don't smoke at all, certainly not in or around a hospital.

Sorry but its the do gooders in this world who have created this problem with smokers stood outside hospital doorways and on the street, Im sure the do gooders live perfect lives themselves, It's time they got over themselves and leave people alone to live their own lives.

The reason people smoke, even after all the evidence that it is harmful to our health, is beyond me.

Medical evidence has brought about the no smoking ban in enclosed public spaces.

People smoking in door ways looks very seedy, but smoking in hospital doorways not only looks pathetic but it is also a public space and should not be allowed.

This business of hospital staff not wanting to enforce the removal of smokers due to threats from the smokers is unbelievable.

Well obviously I can believe anything these days, but surely sanctions should be applied to these people making threats to health workers and other ancillary staff.

Why do we in Britain put up with such nonsense?

The hospitals are there to bring humans back to good health,

smoking damages humans’ health can we not simply join the dots ourselves?

Some people say bring back smoke rooms.

Common sense says don't smoke at all, certainly not in or around a hospital.

Just because people wish to be friendly does not mean that they want to breathe in smoke in an enclosed space, and have the stink of the stale fag smoke on them and their clothes.

This argument does not hold any water.

There is proven medical evidence that smoking is bad for your health and that of your children: they breath your smoke, and they will be more likely to take up smoking.

There is no medical or other evidence about do gooders drinking enough to damage their or any one else's health.

Just because you feel that smokers have been unjustly 'picked on',

you would close down a major industry, ruin the economy, close the tourist industry put more than a million and a half people out of work!

By the way, many smokers also like a drink.

That was the OPs point! To get in or out of the hospital you can't just cross the road, you have to get past all these sick smokers polluting the local atmosphere.

It might be a good idea if the smokers, who simply must smoke, did cross the road themselves, to somewhere less likely to bother others or cause congestion; did their mothers never tell them it is rude to stand in doorways.

These do gooders you keep referring to, you know the ones who came up with the medical evidence that smoking kills, also happen to be the same medical do gooders that are trying to save lives, and bring people back to good health.

So why do they still smoke?

Smoking not only causes cancer to the lungs, throat kidneys and liver, it can and does also help to be a catalyst in bringing cancers to every part of the body.

I think you should follow your own advice.. and

‘Get off your high horse ‘

Oh i would get off my high horse if people like you would let me live my life as i choose fit, and i will let you live yours as you see fit.

As for saying that drink does not harm other peoples lives, The cases of abuse due to drink, especially in the A @ E, Where staff have to endure drunks on a daily basis because they dont know when to call it a day. Men who come home from the pub after a skinfull and beat their wives and kids to a pulp, and tell that to someones relative who's family member has been run down by a drunk driver. these people may never have had a fag in their lives, but they can ruin a persons life much more than breathing in someone elses fag smoke.

Just because you feel that smokers have been unjustly 'picked on',

you would close down a major industry, ruin the economy, close the tourist industry put more than a million and a half people out of work!

By the way, many smokers also like a drink.

Why do you think that so many Pubs and Clubs are closing !! Smokers used to like a drink in their local pub, where they could sit down and relax with a drink and a fag and good conversation, now people have go outside, they would rather go to the local supermarket, get a dvd and a few pints and stay at home in the comfort of their own homes.

Plus their is more likelyhood of fights breaking out outside the pubs because their is no supervision from the pub owners who are inside while everyone is outside the pub.

It might be a good idea if the smokers, who simply must smoke, did cross the road themselves, to somewhere less likely to bother others or cause congestion; did their mothers never tell them it is rude to stand in doorways.

What shall we have then a no smoking side of the road and a smoking side.

You see where does the discrimination end ?(and that is exactly what it is).

Yes we did have a place to go, designated smoking area's, Smoke rooms. Out of the way of non smokes. But no the do gooders got their way and got rid of them, now unfortunatly for you we have to join the general public, you caused it you put up with it.

Yes we did have a place to go, designated smoking area's, Smoke rooms. Out of the way of non smokes. But no the do gooders got their way and got rid of them, now unfortunatly for you we have to join the general public, you caused it you put up with it.[/quoteI

I think there should be a complete ban on hospital property, including the

outside space. Anyone wishing to smoke should have to go on to Glossop Rd for example at the Hallamshire and on to Herries Rd or Barnsley Rd, at Northern General.

I think there should be a complete ban on hospital property, including the

outside space. Anyone wishing to smoke should have to go on to Glossop Rd for example at the Hallamshire and on to Herries Rd or Barnsley Rd, at Northern General.

There is, but people just ignore it :rolleyes:

There is, but people just ignore it :rolleyes:

In that case it should be enforced. The cost involved would be money well

spent, if it helps to save someones life.

They tried to enforce it at the Hallamshire by employing staff to monitor the situation but, these employees received verbal abuse from the smokers.

There are very clear signs all the way along the frontage of the building but, hey, we have so many of the "I'll do what I damn well please" brigade it's a total waste of time.

[quote=Bellstar;4131443

What shall we have then a no smoking side of the road and a smoking side.

You see where does the discrimination end ?(and that is exactly what it is).

You have put a silly twist on everything I said.

For instance when I said'

'It might be a good idea if the smokers, who simply must smoke, did cross the road themselves, to somewhere less likely to bother others or cause congestion; did their mothers never tell them it is rude to stand in doorways'.

You must have realised that I was talking about these smokers who block the entrance ways to the hospital, which is after all what this thread is all about.

Yet you twist it to having a non-smoking and a smoking side of the road, how perfectly ridiculous.

Some people posting after you now think you are saying the opposite of your intentions, quoting you, when you where actually quoting me. It has sunk to the level of a farce.

Notices like:- “Don’t walk on the grass” are generally adhered to so what’s so hard to understand about a “no smoking” sign?

Notices like:- “Don’t walk on the grass” are generally adhered to so what’s so hard to understand about a “no smoking” sign?

Smoke gets in your eyes.:)

Smoke gets in your eyes.:)

:hihi:

Sign what sign, I didn’t see it due to smoke in my eyes.

I really do feel strongly about this issue. I have had people close to me die from cancer not related to smoking, I've had someone really close to me die from lung cancer due to smoking and I have a son who is a Research Scientist working with Cancer Research UK so I have a broad experience of cancer related issues.

It really sickens me to see patients/expectant mothers etc. outside hospitals smoking as though "it's my life and I'll live it how I want and let everyone other sucker pay for my treatment on the NHS" attitude.

As a libertarian I feel very strongly about this issue too. I did have a standing order with Cancer Research up until a month ago but cancelled it in disgust when I received their newsletter giving information about their latest campaign. This was to remove cigarettes from display in shops in order to "discourage children from buying them". They evidently believe that the population are idiots swayed by advertising and completely unable to think for themselves. When I set up the direct debit to Cancer Research I naively believed that their role was to conduct research, as your son is doing. Then I found out they were also involved in campaigning and nannying adults to stop smoking. That's not their job!

The annual tax revenue from smoking is many times greater than the annual cost to the NHS from smoking-related diseases so smokers are paying for themselves several times over. In fact the country is making a profit from them.

Anti-smoking campaigns are not the business of government. In a free society adults are free to make their own choices. If I want to go home tonight and pour half a bottle of bleach down my neck, that may be a stupid thing to do but it's my choice. I pay my taxes for the government to handle the things I'm not able to do myself, which does not include "anti-smoking awareness". I'd rather have a country where people were killing themselves by their own free will than one where they were continually nannied by Whitehall "for their own good". If adults choose to smoke that's got nothing to do with the government.