What do you think of Wetherspoons pubs?

Wetherspoons pubs - good or bad?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Wetherspoons pubs - good or bad?

Good yeah. I couldn't spend more than a couple hours in there on a night out because I find some of them are boring and have no atmosphere. Although the Lloyds bars tend to have music videos on that you can actually hear. They are a lot cleaner and tidy than they used to be, good cheap food, nice cocktails......yeah I could think of worse!

Am I the only tight git who, when on a night out with friends and it's my round next, suggests we have a quick one in Wetherspoons?

I was up in Wick the other week. Not many places to go so we tried Wetherspoons. Excellent pint of Dark Island at £1.59. Good selection of food. Comfortable surroundings. There were business types in there with their laptops and between 10 am and 6 pm the scene was relaxed and friendly. Don't know what its like after 6 as we went to the Indian then. Its a great train ride from there to Inverness - great scenery.

Just in case anyones interested theres a thread in the food group where you can tell us about your favourite pub.

I think Wetherspoons gets such a bad press-people are such snobs:hihi:

I love nipping into the Rawson for something to eat and a drink. Cheap wine (never a bad thing IMO:D ) and food that isn't at all bad for the price.

Good for us veggies too, relatively speaking.

Plus the fact it's within a five minute stumble from my front door, and the best forum meets are held there too!

Am I the only tight git who, when on a night out with friends and it's my round next, suggests we have a quick one in Wetherspoons?

No you are not the only one :D

i love the benjamin huntsman!

bankers daft is full of old drunk men - as in 80 years old, drinking all day long.

the huntsman has nice sofas, tellys, clean toilets (!). i always get people to go in there for a cheeky few before going clubbing! saves lots of money lol! and their jugs of woowoo are lovely :)

The Rawson is my localest (sic) local; what it lacks in atmosphere and comfort is more than adequately compensated for by the prices and the excellent range of local real ales on offer.

The other major issue is, of course, the sometimes absurd length of time it can take to get served - I was discussing this with the managers wife recently and she told me that this is a by-product of the fact that they're able to keep selling berr so cheaply by economising on wages. ( She also told me her hourly rate, having been a member of their team for six years; discretion forbids that I should mention the sum here - I wouldn't wish to embarrass anybody, but it was shockingly low.....)

never had a problem with them myself cheap meals and a fine selection of hand pulled beers what more can you ask for:)

I don't know if it's a deliberate policy or not, but where there's more than one Wetherspoons in a town, it seems that one seems to attract the...er...rougher end of the market whilst the other attracts the higher end.

This is particularly noticeable in Rotherham, where the Rhinoceros seems to be full of lowlife while the Bluecoat is much better and has won several awards from the local CAMRA branch.

I'm sure they'd deny deliberately aiming pubs at different socio-economic groups, but it makes you wonder..........

The Rhinoceros has got a lot better, since this last post. Now we have the Corn Law Rhymer as well. Keith classes The Bluecoat as his local, even though he lives in Clifton.

personally i like them and use them all, except the one at meadowhead, its too far out for me. my only gripe is the downstairs toilets in the Bankers, they always smell damp and fusty, i know they've had more than one flood, that's where the kitchen is too! i'm staying in one of their lodges in Birmingham soon so I'll let you all know what they're like in due course.