Stone Circles around the uk.

I've not been to many but I like Castlerigg near keswick

My saga took six years, well nearly, and about 3000 hrs in the air.

Oh, and a lot of money, even by my standards.

Merry Maidens is a lovely one, I like it there, too!

Other things worth seeing round there are Carn Euny, an ancient village with a Fogou; Chysauster, another ancient village; Men-an-Tol, a weird thing which I think is clearly something to do with fertility. And chuck in a visit to St Michael's Mount which is magical ;)

I've dug this thread up as I'm planning on going hunting for the stone cross I saw many years ago. I wondered if there were any more thoughts on the likelihood of where it is?

Visited Boleigh Fogou a few years ago. We all squeezed through the gap into the creep, and then somebody shone a torch towards the ceiling and there was the largest spiders we had ever seen, with white eggs sacks the size of golfballs hanging down. Eeek.

At that moment I thought, Julian Cope shut your mouth!

Yup, the nine ladies us a special place. Anyone going there should also do the walk up behind the Druid Inn and cost the caves and stone seats and stone pedestal bowls all carved into a huge rock face.

I've dug this thread up as I'm planning on going hunting for the stone cross I saw many years ago. I wondered if there were any more thoughts on the likelihood of where it is?

I'm intrigued.

What did it look like and roughly where did you see the stone cross?

Well obviously i have an interest in this too, so would like know of what cross thou speaketh. :hihi:

For local stone circles and ancient sites, see my sig.

Zebra, reading your (much) earlier post, it puts me in mind of Froggatt edge.

Though i know of no cross up there.

For some reason this site slipped through my net and i haven't entered directions for it, i'll get onto that tomorrow, for now though here's a pic.

Also, for anyone interested, up by brown edge / Totley moor circle there's an ancient inscription, i was told it was a boundary stone, something to do with king Offa. ?

It's buried in heather now and a bugger to find if you don't know exactly where it is.

Thinking about it now, i'm sure i have pics of the inscriptions somewhere.

dunno if this is the right way up, but here's the inscribed stone.

Another view here.

And another stone close by in this pic.

Sorry for sorta hijacking the thread, i don't know of any record of these stones online and someone may one day be interested in them.

My favorite is Avebury so many in one village a truly magical place.

Avebury was the location for the 1977 ITV series "Children of the Stones", a very unsettling children's TV classic, now available on DVD.

Rats - I thought this was an immigration thread. :hihi:

If you search stone circles, use derbyshire as the search, not sheffield - there is IIRC only one in sheffield - tens of them in derbyshire though (been dragged on a few hunts by my gf's sister).

I bought an Ordinance Survey map of Derbyshire when I came to Sheffield. The stone circles are marked on it. There are dozens of the things dotted around very close to here. You can find the O/S maps in local libraries and as many of the circles are close to public footpaths you can take a walk and have picnics (or whatever else you fancy:o) inside the circles.