Heinz pull 'offensive' advert

Chopsie

Of course if the reason for advertising is to get people to talk about you and your product then this could be the most successfull advert Heinz have ever commisioned.

Oh, was it supposed to be clever and ironic or something? I didn't get that the new-york deli man was a 'figment of imagination' replacing the real life Mum in the family. I just found it rather unpleasant, tbh, and I'm not surprised that Stonewall (and individual gay men too?) took offence.

I didn't get it at first either SHsheff - I only knew it was supposed to represent that from hearing about it on the radio......

I'm only offended that the advert is so rubbish. I'm certainly not giving up Heinz Baked Beans just because Stonewall can't handle people not liking men kissing on tv. To be fair though Heinz should have spent some money on digital effects showing their mum morphing into the deli-guy.... It might have actually been quite amusing then. But they are loving all the attention no doubt.....

Everyone: Gay men being depicted in adverts is nothing new.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/tv/2008/05/where_are_all_the_gay_men_in_t.html

I dread to think what you make of the Green Giant sweetcorn advert.

Mmmmm. Would you mind providing a link, nick2? I don't want to comment on the wrong one on YouTube, bad enough that I already (possibly) look like a homophobic muppet who can't see the funny side of a mayo advert! :hihi:

Of course if the reason for advertising is to get people to talk about you and your product then this could be the most successfull advert Heinz have ever commisioned.

Agreed.

One of the big problems advertisers have is people remembering the adverts but not remembering what they were for. Mrs Tricky pointed out the advert with all the plasticine rabbits in New York as one of her favourites but couldn't tell me what the ad was trying to promote. Shake and Vac or those nauseating Halifax ads with the naff singing did so much better on that score.

Heinz have managed to hit the jackpot by having everyone going on about Heinz Mayonnaise, which was the whole point wasn't it?

Heinz have managed to hit the jackpot by having everyone going on about Heinz Mayonnaise, which was the whole point wasn't it?

Yeah, but talk about it all they want, and it's still not a patch on Hellman's...

Yeah, but talk about it all they want, and it's still not a patch on Hellman's...

That's true. It's funny how the religious fanatics don't take note of the fact that HELLMANS is by name the mayonnaise of the devil. :evil: