Wife of 21/7 bomber jailed for 15yrs...

Strong sentencing [ or the death penalty ] for whatever criminal offence will rarely deter the fanatics, the nutters, the martyrs, the stupid, the psychopaths.....et al.....However, tough sentences may deter many people on the fringes of a criminal life. It may well make the difference between getting deeply involved in something sinister and making a ' strategic withdrawal '. Obviously, this is impossible by its very nature to quantify.

There were plenty of terrorist attacks all over the world before Iraq was invaded. Again, how much increase the invasion triggered off is a moot point. We can't very well do a gallup poll about it.

This is not about the Iraq war which I was against anyway this is about a sentence given to a terrorist trying to kill innocent Brits on Brit soil....

May not be about the Iraq war but in keeping with the principle then what of the foreign terrorists that kill innocent Iraquis on Iraqui soil?

There might be a shortage of rope in Iraq.

Maybe she thought she was immune to prosecution rather like the Americans and the British are over there.

The sentence seems a little harsh to me,yeh she did wrong but 15 yrs is a long time,that said I beleive she was on benefits like the rest so it might save us taxpayers a few quid.

..now that's a different take on it, but sadly not the case, it costs much more to keep someone in prison than it does have them living on benefits on the outside!

..now that's a different take on it, but sadly not the case, it costs much more to keep someone in prison than it does have them living on benefits on the outside!

That is true, but she should be punished, and she quite rightly is being punished (hopefully). She is as guilty as her husband was.

That is true, but she should be punished, and she quite rightly is being punished (hopefully). She is as guilty as her husband was.

I'm not dis agreeing that she should be punished (see my earlier posts), but keeping someone in prison because it saves the tax payer money compared to them being on benefits is an inaccurate reason to do so.

The sentence seems a little harsh to me,yeh she did wrong but 15 yrs is a long time,that said I beleive she was on benefits like the rest so it might save us taxpayers a few quid.

Will it save us taxpayers a few quid? Remember, it will cost us over £40,000 a year to keep her locked up, a figure rising with inflation over those years. How much cheaper a length of rope and a tin of three in one oil would be.

Yeshi Girma the wife of one of the 21/7 failed bombers was given 15yrs detention in prison for her part in aiding her husband Hussein Osman in his attempt to kill innocents and subsequently went on to hide him and evade the police.

Considering the death of Jean Charles de Menezes shot by police might have been avoided and the potential disaster that would have ensued if the bombers were successful in their attempt.... do you think she was given a long enough sentence?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4123525.ece

So she has been given 15 years for aiding a failed crime? I'm not all that familiar wih the case but you say it failed. Does that mean nobody was killed ? - the bombs did not go off? Is that right? and she got 15 years for that ? It sounds like way too much to me. Also bearing in mind it was her husband she was protecting ;she must have been under incredible domestic pressure to help him avoid arrest. I've see a few threads on here regarding capitol punishment but, not even on them, has it been suggested that a person should hang for failing to kill someone - much less helping a failed criminal. If this is so I hope she gets full remission.

15 years is a good sentence and yes she was on benefits like most of the bombers are. Isn't it funny we allow them to live amongst us and they claim benefits, and they then want to blow up the people that put food in their mouths. Send them packing to their own country if they are traitors for me. It dont matter if they were born here. They have proved they dont care about this country.

I thought it a bit harsh really. I mean culturally, it would have been extremely difficult, if not impossible, for her to speak out against her husband.

I suspect that she's been made 'an example of'. I reckon she'll be out in 5 with a new identity etc. All 'hush hush' of course.