Real Ale Pubs: Recommendations Required

Thanks Myster E - we're all very proud of Mark as well' date=' he did a fantastic job representing henry's and Sheffield! And you've hit the nail on the head there - the ethos of the UK Draught Master competition and the 9 part pour are transferred to all products we serve at henry's.[/quote']

Hi i went in Henrys on saturday night great place, friendly atmosphere and the best choice of ales ive seen in ages.

I think that the best local real ale pubs are :

The shakey

Fat Cat

Kelham Island Tavern

Sheffield Tap

Don't forget the Gardeners,great Beers and nice hosts.

I like the rising sun at fulwood. Well looked after and loads of real ales. Last time in they had Ossett brewerys silver king on. Top notch pale.

Yes, it's a good real ale pub that one. A bit to heavy on the Abbeydale brews though - but that's what you'd expect I suppose given that it's their pub.

Their beer festival is one of the best around Sheffield imo. They had about 100 beers on at the last one and it was well organised etc.

My only gripe with this place is that they have all these wonderful beers, dozens and dozens of them - but try getting a decent glass of wine! It's just awful - I mean, not even Tesco £5 a bottle standard.

At the recent beer fest I queued for about 20 mins at the bar inside the pub to get my other half a glass of wine - it was so foul and disgusting she couldn't drink it. I tried it myself and I can verify it was cheap disgusting rubbish. (We had a similar experience last time we went - so it's not just a case of the odd glass being off - it's a case of them buying cheap crappy wine). Consequently, I rarely go to this place, unless I'm going by myself!

Don't forget the Gardeners,great Beers and nice hosts.

Yes, good real ale pub. But very depressing area isn't it? Neepsend. I find the place itself a bit depressing as well. I can't say I'd look forward to a night out there.

Yes, good real ale pub. But very depressing area isn't it? Neepsend. I find the place itself a bit depressing as well. I can't say I'd look forward to a night out there.

You could have a quick one in the Gardeners, then take the bus just outside to the New Barrack Tavern, near Morrisons which has food and loads of real ales.

I've had some cracking nights at the Gardeners. Who care's what's outside the front door - there's a good atmosphere indoors and a nice beer garden that backs onto the river, all lubricated by great beer.

By the way, did you see my post pointing out that there is indeed a vineyard in Leeds?

I've been in when it's been dead and I've been in when it's been busy and when it's good the Gardeners Rest is very good indeed.

Hello - this is an interesting thread because I'm coming to Sheffield on Sunday and am looking for a good real ale pub.

Can anyone say though if any pubs have very little or ideally no background music. It's a real bugbear of mine and I want to have a good chat with someone and we're looking for somewhere where you can do that without having to talk over Now That's What I Call Muzak #976.

Cliff

Hello - this is an interesting thread because I'm coming to Sheffield on Sunday and am looking for a good real ale pub.

Can anyone say though if any pubs have very little or ideally no background music. It's a real bugbear of mine and I want to have a good chat with someone and we're looking for somewhere where you can do that without having to talk over Now That's What I Call Muzak #976.

Cliff

Any of those around The Real Ale Triangle of Kelham Island would be ideal - no music i.e The Wellington, The Fat Cat, The Kelham Island Tav, The Hillsborough Hotel, The Harlequin.

More centrally The Bath and Red Deer.

Whereabouts are you heading?

Edit: Just remembered The Hillsborough Hotel usually have folkies playing on a Sunday night

Edited by taxman
added info

Any of those around The Real Ale Triangle of Kelham Island would be ideal - no music i.e The Wellington, The Fat Cat, The Kelham Island Tav, The Hillsborough Hotel, The Harlequin.

More centrally The Bath and Red Deer.

Whereabouts are you heading?

Edit: Just remembered The Hillsborough Hotel usually have folkies playing on a Sunday night

Weeell... it's supposed to be a little bit of a romantic afternoon so I was wondering about taking her (so to speak) in a park, perhaps Norfolk Park, but that's slightly in the wrong direction for Kelham Island isn't it?

A nice walk up The Porter Valley followed by a couple in The Rising Sun perhaps?