Real Ale Pubs: Recommendations Required

A nice walk up The Porter Valley followed by a couple in The Rising Sun perhaps?

That sounds nice. Can we get to the Porter Valley easily enough from the railway station?

Weeell... it's supposed to be a little bit of a romantic afternoon so I was wondering about taking her (so to speak) in a park, perhaps Norfolk Park, but that's slightly in the wrong direction for Kelham Island isn't it?

if you're around norfolk park then perhaps head down norfolk road, through the station and to the sheffield tap

it's a good looking building and has plenty of choice for real ales and bottles, though isn't cheap and i'm not sure i'd exactly put it into the 'romantic' field

taxman's idea sounds like a good 'un though, there's also the greystones on the opposite side of the of the porter to the rising sun, which also does good ale

if you're around norfolk park then perhaps head down norfolk road, through the station and to the sheffield tap

it's a good looking building and has plenty of choice for real ales and bottles, though isn't cheap and i'm not sure i'd exactly put it into the 'romantic' field

taxman's idea sounds like a good 'un though, there's also the greystones on the opposite side of the of the porter to the rising sun, which also does good ale

Thanks - I've been in the Sheffield Tap a few times waiting (or deliberately missing) trains. Personally I'm in my element there but I don't know whether it's a bit "manny" though for a woman of the female persuasion. But I haven't been there since Christmas 2009 so I don't really have up to date info.

Thanks - I've been in the Sheffield Tap a few times waiting (or deliberately missing) trains. Personally I'm in my element there but I don't know whether it's a bit "manny" though for a woman of the female persuasion. But I haven't been there since Christmas 2009 so I don't really have up to date info.

agreed - though it has had some extra rooms added since 2009 so there is a bit more space to spread out

the porter valley isn't walking distance from norfolk park, though there will be regular buses at least up to hunter's bar from town

equally, you could get the tram from the train station up to shalesmoor (about 15 mins) and make the five minutes walk to the pubs in kelham island recommended earlier. again, these aren't exactly romantic in a candlelit dinner sense, though they are different and have a lot of character. the fat cat has a particularly nice beer garden, with heat lamps if its a bit cold!

Also the Rutland is close to the train station and is quirky and cosy enough for t`lasses!

Or hop off at Dore. Walk in Eccy woods to Millhouses park. Can stop in Waggon and Horses, Ale House on Fraser Road and new Millhouses ought to be open soon.

Too many of the real ale specific pubs are too "blokey" to take a woman in, it's hardly romantic to take a lady to a place that's full of bearded tickers with personal hygiene issues!

I'd suggest one of the more upmarket pubs out on the Western edges towards Derbyshire such as the Three Merry Lads at Lodge Moor or the Cricket Inn at Totley. Sure, the ale choice may not be as wide, but for cliff-l's requirements they'd be a lot more suitable and there are plenty of good walks.

Sheaf View and White Lion at Keeley are great pubs this side of town.

Yes, good real ale pub. But very depressing area isn't it? Neepsend. I find the place itself a bit depressing as well. I can't say I'd look forward to a night out there.

The grottier the exterior the better the interior-it may be run down but is not overun with negative characters.

Thank you everyone, those suggestions are much appreciated. Just because it's so central, and I like the "There is no God" sticker :) and their website is quite witty, I've suggested to her we start in the Rutland Arms and then, depending on the weather, have a romantic ride on the 120 bus to Porter Valley and then perhaps come back via the Rising Sun and / or something in the Kelham Island area.

Thanks for your help with all this and if it does take off and I meet any of you in Sheffield at any time I'll get the drinks in :)

Thank you everyone, those suggestions are much appreciated. Just because it's so central, and I like the "There is no God" sticker :) and their website is quite witty, I've suggested to her we start in the Rutland Arms and then, depending on the weather, have a romantic ride on the 120 bus to Porter Valley and then perhaps come back via the Rising Sun and / or something in the Kelham Island area.

Thanks for your help with all this and if it does take off and I meet any of you in Sheffield at any time I'll get the drinks in :)

Make sure you post on here after your visit and let us know how you got on!

Make sure you post on here after your visit and let us know how you got on!

He he... I will actually - you've all been a great help as my knowledge of Sheffield is partial and out of date and I can't risk cocking it up. So to speak.

Thanks Myster E - we're all very proud of Mark as well' date=' he did a fantastic job representing henry's and Sheffield! And you've hit the nail on the head there - the ethos of the UK Draught Master competition and the 9 part pour are transferred to all products we serve at henry's.[/quote']

Hows the brewery coming along?