Real Ale Pubs: Recommendations Required

Hi i went in Henrys on saturday night great place, friendly atmosphere and the best choice of ales ive seen in ages.

Thank you dogsneck! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Hows the brewery coming along?

The brewery is coming along very nicely! Some of the vessels have arrived and are in place and the construction of the cold store is almost complete. Give us a shout when you're next in henry's and we'd be glad to show you around!

Thanks for that, who do I ask for?

Ask for Mark, the manager/landlord. He'll relish the opportunity to talk about beer and brewing....he always does!

Thanks-will be my first brewery trip!!

Well, it's very much a work in progress at the moment. You'll have to come and have a look when we're up and running too. We'll be running more formal brewery trips when we've started brewing. Watch this space!

Sounds good. All the best with that. I`ll have to pop in soon!

Just been to the Hearty Oak in Dronfield and had a top pint of AbbyDale Moonshine. They had 2 others on too.

off topic.

What's the beer to drink at home? I'm finding bottles taste gassy and lose the smoothness.

Yes, good real ale pub. But very depressing area isn't it? Neepsend. I find the place itself a bit depressing as well. I can't say I'd look forward to a night out there.

True, but the Gardeners is a great pub and with prices for some great locally brewed ales starting at £2 (and one at the quirky price of £2.16) I can put up with the walk through beautiful downtown Neepsend...

Well' date=' it's very much a work in progress at the moment. You'll have to come and have a look when we're up and running too. We'll be running more formal brewery trips when we've started brewing. Watch this space![/quote']

Mark has just won an award, I gather. What is it?

Too many of the real ale specific pubs are too "blokey" to take a woman in, it's hardly romantic to take a lady to a place that's full of bearded tickers with personal hygiene issues!

I'd suggest one of the more upmarket pubs out on the Western edges towards Derbyshire such as the Three Merry Lads at Lodge Moor or the Cricket Inn at Totley. Sure, the ale choice may not be as wide, but for cliff-l's requirements they'd be a lot more suitable and there are plenty of good walks.

This used to be more of an issue than it is now....there seem to be fewer of the shopping trolley-toting bottlers than formerly. Can only think of one "Valley of Beer" house which continues to fit this description...and, no, it's not the HH.....

Romance in the Rutland

Some people here were very kind to offer this temporary immigrant from across the border some advice about where to take someone I'd been chatting to for a while on the internet. The original sub-thread started at http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28976&page=6

and I said I'd let you know how it went.

I am very happy to report that not only did the woodland walk idea get ditched in favour of simply sitting around in pubs all afternoon (which is what I would have suggested originally but I thought I might come across as less of a drunken sot if I suggested a walk too) but that things took a most welcome turn after a couple drinks in the second pub of the afternoon, the Harlequin (the others were the Rutland Arms and the Station Tap).

Maybe it was the erotic atmosphere engendered by the late-middle-aged couple sitting next to us. He had a beard, and they both had cable knit sweaters on. They could only have met in a folk club. Maybe it was the cider. Maybe it was her fantastic sense of humour and rather pleasing front elevation. But walking back to the station took some time as we became somewhat preoccupied with each other.

And she missed her train, which meant we had another twenty minutes' snogging in one of the new small rooms at the back of the Station Tap (we were in there by ourselves, I hasten to add).

So thank you everyone, that went swimmingly well, and really was in no small part due to your excellent suggestions of places in which you can sit down and have a proper "get to know you" chat. And a snog.