Advice from people who have taken a rescue dog

Just wondered how people have coped taking a rescue into their homes especially with other pets.

What brings this up is we place a gsd in a lovely home and sadly its not working out, so she may have to go back into kennels.

What helped you to make it work? I would be really interested in your stories as it would help to reassure people who are having initial difficulties.

Its awkard with big dogs like gsds because if they are disobedient or have had no training then they can be a right handful. I wonder whether a short course on pack leadership and basic obedience guidelines would help new owners to get their dogs settled down.

On the other hand there are the naturals who never have problems but you have to think that some rescues have gone into rescue because of a problem that the owners could not or did not want to deal with. Not all by any means, sometimes its just that they got a dog and thought it would look after itself.

I feel for these people who have taken this dog, they like her but she is causing havoc and mayhem with their elderly dog and cats. Yet she lived in a home with another dog and cats and was ok!

I have a fab rescue dog that is dog aggressive but apparently had lived with another dog before and was 'dog friendly' until the rescue tried to introduce it to a collie that belonged to a prospective owner! I have to admitt I would not have considered a dog aggressive dog if I already had an existing doggy in the home. I would never ever consider giving him up, but if the rescue had not tried him out he could have gone home with the first 'owner' and been in the same position as the GSD.

I am currently seeking advice and fingers crossed I will get their eventually. It helps hearing that other people are in the same boat and that there is some dogs that can be converted! He is a largish dog so I understand about the ease of control being much harder!

My rescue is perfect in every other way and I'd love to have a go at dog agility with him as he is more than happy to long jump/ sit/ stay /climb along trees/ recall when asked, but until I've worked out his 'issues' this is a no go. I know he would be great at it though!

I hope they manage to stick it out, but it may be better for it to be in a one pet only household, for it's own good and the other pets and the owners sanity!

My last two GSD's were rescued dogs. (as have been the last two dogs I have owned) they were simply fabulous, settled in really well. the only trouble, if you can call it that, was when Sheba got a condition similar to Cystic Fibrosis in humans:- some enzyme failed, in her stomach, and she could not digest her food.

She could not extract the nourishment out of her food, and despite the vet putting her on special tablets, they didn't help, and she had to be PTS.

GSD's are loyal, (sometimes keen!) and extremely intelligent dogs. They are very rewarding.

All of ours have been rescues.

Just time, lots of TLC and a lot of understanding.

I do think we`ve been quite lucky with the gsd`s we`ve rescued, sam was only a pup so it was easy, sam(2) was an old guy that was just truely grateful to have been picked, and it showed. he was the perfect gentleman.

Amber came straight from a family who reluctantly had put her into kennels cos they had no home, due to a split. It was very sad, but they just wanted the perfect home for her.

I still send the kids of the previous owner pictures via email so she can see how she`s going.

But Amber slotted in perfectly, she didn`t know what to make of the rabbit but we just introduced them gradually. Now they sleep together!:D

hi i have 9 dogs 3 of which are rescues , ive had 1 or 2 problems but this was with only one of the rescued dogs, ok i get the odd battle but nothing that scares me & within seconds its over & things get back to normal, maybe im lucky ? . i even have what some class as the worst senario more than 1 bitch in the pack ,i have 8 + 1 male . as for youre suggestion re pack leadership education etc i would be 100% behined you on that there are a few things that can be done to lower a dogs dominance which should help with the behaviour. sorry for any spelling mistakes but i prefferd being with the dogs than school

I havent got a rescue dog but I think what you suggest (pack leadership/ education etc) is a great idea as it would help to prepare potential new owners. I adore GSDs and hate to think if them or indeed any other dogs or cats having to return to kennels if things dont seem to be working out. I've learned from owning a dramaqueen attention seeking dobermutt that you need a lot of patience with animals at times, but that ultimately, they reward you with their love and loyalty and no matter how maddening Ailsa's behaviour can be at times, I adore her and could not bear to lose her. I sometimes wish she was more tolerant of other dogs (but can you blame her- she's been attacked so many times) as it would be lovely to introduce another dog here one day.

My only concern with a rescue is whether one would accept our cats- Medusa's GSD Mollie Moo and Lyndix's Amber have shown it can be done though.

many thanks all, the replies are really interesting and given me food for thought. Been to see the owners tonight and they are really lovely people. The bitch is so friendly but showing off with the existing dog and cats and barking like a fool. They are going to give it a shot and keep her for a month to try and give her time to settle in. I think she has done really well to be honest (apart from the naughty bits!) she has been out and off the lead, recalled ok etc etc. I hope it settles but they have a very very old cat and an old dog so I can quite understand where their loyalties must lie.

TY

Avril

I think personally that it is very hard work, and takes a very committed person to take in a dog with problems - into an already established pack.

Something like a gsd - that is very much a one person dog - will no doubt be struggling to work out its own position in the household and that of the other dogs towards to people.

If the owners have strong leadership skills with their current dogs - then it should be ok to introduce any dog in there. That said - i personally own troubled dogs - of which i don't have strong leadership skills - and am forever learning.

The only recommendation I would give for this to work out, is to spend as much INDIVIDUAL time - ie 1 to 1 time with the new dog, without other dogs around. Work it hard, and once worked - allow it to see how the rest of the pack works. However, this type of dog - as I am sure you know - must be worked and exercised HARD on lead. No off lead fun and games, hard walking, and ensure it learns who is in charge.

It won't be an easy ride, it must accept that people only are in charge, and hopefully it will settle in there.

Commitment and dedication will hopefully ease the pressure for you and for her.

i wish you luck

I never had any problems with Eddy. He's dog aggressive but lives in complete harmony with Takara, and any dog I bring into the house!

We brought Eddy in, and after the initial intro to Takara and a bit of her telling him off and him telling her off they just settled down as though they've always lived together and they've never argued!

We've not had a problem introducing Rowdy to the dogs either but he does have a wee bit of SA which the crate really helped for. We're not quite as sleep deprived as his first couple of nights!