DIY Medical Procedures - Have You?

After I removed my kneecap on a stone in the pavement when I fell as a teenager, a lump of the tissue that had been torn but sewn into place then died and started to smell, then when I bent my knee one day it all popped open and started dripping pus. I couldn't get to a hospital at the time because I was away in Germany with an orchestra at the time (I'd been taken to hospital in Ireland for surgery when I'd originally hurt my leg and didn't want all the fuss again) so I thought I'd sort it out myself.

I got a really sharp pair of scissors, a nail brush and some disinfectant and cut out all of the bits that were all grey and black then gave the wound a good scrub with the disinfectant until it was all nice and pink (and it was bleeding- good sign that). I then dressed it properly, put on a knee pad and went to play football- the team was short of a goalie if I didn't play. It all healed without any further intervention.

I've also lanced a couple of boils, removed stitches and treated numerous puncture wounds, scrapes, sprains and the like. I'm fairly experienced as a first aider, but what is interesting to me is that I will happily take a scalpel to myself when I wouldn't dare with other people. I think that is because I know I can cope with the pain whereas I wouldn't want to hurt other people.

I think the most interesting one recently was my new title- emergency cat dentist. One of my friends called me to take a look at her cat as his mouth was obviously troubling him and he wouldn't let her look. He'd got a canine tooth half in the socket and moving about, and they couldn't get him to a vet for another 15 hours unless they paid for an emergency vet, so I took the tooth out for him. It took only a couple of seconds and he had obviously been in such pain with it that he hadn't eaten for days so he started eating within 10 minutes of it being taken out.

After I removed my kneecap on a stone in the pavement when I fell as a teenager, <snip>

Wow I can't compete with that. I've lanced an abscess on my toe and removed a large piece of nail that had migrated through from where my toenail is. I've also done wedge resections on my ingrowing toenails :hihi: Have to emphasise though that I know what I'm doing and have access to sterile equipment so don't try this at home folks!

I chopped the very top end of my thumb with a V slicer whilst chipping potatoes and that hurt like hell it was just hanging on by a thread of skin so I went to A&E for some stitches and got board after waiting for 2.5 hours went home and cellotaped it back on, changed the cellotape after a day to a plaster then when that didnt work I made a bandage out of kitchen roll and eventually it healed. I do now have a little lump of skin on the top of my thumb though and the worst part was cleaning it using southern comfort that really hurt :)

• 3 years later...