Letting properties and cats

Yes

I did with one of the treasures.

Try to badger the landlords directly, ask the agents for contact details.

The agents are a lazy bunch here and pretty much just blank pets even if the landlord is OK about it. Well thats my experience......

d

There is another post about renting a property if you have dogs... my advice is the same - if you have a pet, ask the estate agent to approach the landlord and offer a slightly increased deposit, and offer to have the carpets etc cleaned at the end of your rental agreement. It worked for me when I was looking for somewhere to stay with my dog.

The main issue with cats will be the damage they do to the wallpaper and carpets.....even if they have scratching posts you'll need to be lucky to avoid some damage somewhere - usually exactly where people look when they walk in a room...:)

Originally posted by JoePritchard

The main issue with cats will be the damage they do to the wallpaper and carpets.....even if they have scratching posts you'll need to be lucky to avoid some damage somewhere - usually exactly where people look when they walk in a room...:)

And also when you eventually come to leave there's the risk that the next tennant is asthmatic & has a common cat-fur allergy.

Speaking from personal experience no amount of fettling clears all the dander from a room furnishings etc.

I get wheezy in rooms vacated by cats, long after they've gone.

We stayed in a cottage once that was a 'no-pets-allowed' cottage.:gag: someone had had their little Tiddles there :suspect: trust me. What a rotten week I had drugged up on piriton.

Originally posted by Don_Kiddick

And also when you eventually come to leave there's the risk that the next tennant is asthmatic & has a common cat-fur allergy.

Speaking from personal experience no amount of fettling clears all the dander from a room furnishings etc.

I get wheezy in rooms vacated by cats, long after they've gone.

We stayed in a cottage once that was a 'no-pets-allowed' cottage.:gag: someone had had their little Tiddles there :suspect: trust me. What a rotten week I had drugged up on piriton.

Same here, my flat where i live now used to have cats it was a good month + before I could breathe I nearly moved out!

I am now looking to buy and I will not buy a house that has cats in it/ if i'm forced too I shall have to have it in the contract that the owners rip all the carpets up before I move in. It's not worth feeling so unwell!