Letting properties and cats

Originally posted by Evei

I shall have to have it in the contract that the owners rip all the carpets up before I move in. It's not worth feeling so unwell!

That won't solve the problem Evei. My sister bought a 'cat house' and it's the radiators and gaps in the floorboards and all sorts of places that dust gets into that cause the biggest problems.

I lived there for 10 months, so had to investigate the sources of my swollen eyes and dripping nose.

The fur under the pantry door was horiffic :gag: I thought it was a real draught excluder until we came to paint and I was lying on the floor doing the skirting.... :gag::help::gag:

I moved into a house a few months ago that did allow me to have my two cats. This was through Mike Jollly estates, and we were honest about the cats up front. It wasn't a problem.

I can understand why landlords are reluctant tho. Our two little chaps are very well house-trained and don't tend to rip things up or have accidents in inappropriate places. We bought a new super-duper vacuum cleaner last week so we can keep on top of the hair buildup as much as possible too.

We were very lucky that the first house we looked at was cat-friendly, tastefully decorated, in an area we wanted to be in and at the right price. - we nearly snatched their hands off! I was resigned to having to give the cats up and had already arranged for my parents to take them off my hands if we really couldn't find anywhere, but thankfully it didn't come to that :clap:

It's nice to read about a responsible cat owner, Fantomas.

Far too many people get a cat 'because I can't look after a dog'. It's like getting a car and not paying the insurance, in my book. Why should cats be neglected? And I'm sure that's why there's so many re-homing cases. People just don't expect to have to put time into training, or expect a pet to be 'on tap'. Owning a pet is a resoponsibility and a commitment. And furniture damage along the way is to be expected/managed/minimised - re-homing is not an acceptable solution.

Rant over :D

Glad you got sorted :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Strix

Far too many people get a cat 'because I can't look after a dog'. It's like getting a car and not paying the insurance, in my book. Why should cats be neglected? And I'm sure that's why there's so many re-homing cases. People just don't expect to have to put time into training, or expect a pet to be 'on tap'. Owning a pet is a resoponsibility and a commitment. And furniture damage along the way is to be expected/managed/minimised - re-homing is not an acceptable solution.

You are right cats need to be trained to use a scratching post, it is not normal for a cat to do damage to a home if trained properly.

Majority of my cats cause no damage at all to our home, one cat does sadly rip the wallpaper in the hall with his teeth but we are in the process of training him not to.

But they all use their scratching posts and we have just bought a mega cat tree from Russel Hardy Designs which I highly recommend to any cat owners...

http://www.declawing.co.uk/scratchingposttree.html