Thyme Cafe, Broomhill

Deepak_S7

Hi

Whats going on at the Thyme Cafe in Broomhill?

It used to be superb.

Good honest food cooked well at good prices.

I was in about 4 months ago and my meal was a bit poor however It was busy and Ive had many excellent meals there, but not for 18 months, so I gave it another go tonight.

And it wasnt great tonight even though it was half full/empty.

Our meals were over cooked and just not nice.

The annoying thing is that it used to be excellent.

Have they got problems or have I just been unlucky twice?

Maybe coincidence but thinking back there were a few notices advertising for a new chef.

Deepak

IMO it was never anything out of the ordinary - decent food but way overpriced, a bit like Richard Smith's other establishments. As much as I enjoyed their meat and potato pie, at £9 you'd expect something extra. I can get just as good a m & p pie up at the Sportsman, Hallam for about £6 (and you get more and the chance of enjoying a decent pint to go with it).

My opinion is: don't believe the Richard Smith hype. There are other places just as good (indeed better), cheaper and if you do your homework, you might find both - better and cheaper - in one place.

IMO it was never anything out of the ordinary - decent food but way overpriced, a bit like Richard Smith's other establishments. As much as I enjoyed their meat and potato pie, at £9 you'd expect something extra. I can get just as good a m & p pie up at the Sportsman, Hallam for about £6 (and you get more and the chance of enjoying a decent pint to go with it).

My opinion is: don't believe the Richard Smith hype. There are other places just as good (indeed better), cheaper and if you do your homework, you might find both - better and cheaper - in one place.

Had bad experience at THYME Broomhill very arrogant manager, no replies to Emails will not go to any SMITHS establishments again. PAT

IMO it was never anything out of the ordinary - decent food but way overpriced, a bit like Richard Smith's other establishments.

Thanks for the reply

I kind of half agree and disagree :)

The other night was awful but other times Ive been, more than 18 months ago, its been really great and good value for what it was.

But essentially Ive had 2 duff experiences in a few months so they can bog off.

I was curious if anyone else had found that its not as good as it used to be?

Deepak

Oh thank God it's not just me that thinks that the place is totally overrated, and always has been IMO. On the rare occasion that we go I alway come out saying "never again".

If I wanted to serve myself I'd take sandwiches. If I wanted to become a menu memory man I'd have joined a magicians troupe. If I wanted to pay a tenner for badly cooked yet deeply pretentious fish and chips I'd have lunch in Cleethorpes wearing a dinner jacket. If I wanted to have an entire dinner party of six standing next to my table I'd have joined a chimps tea party.

My BF feels exactly the same about the place and that's the reason why I feel unable to comment on the current situation there.

I used to like going there partly because the food that I had was rather lovely and partly because it is open later than most of the cafe-type places (i.e. non-pub) for which you don't need to book.

It's always been expensive, but previously the food was good enough that it didn't matter too much. If the food doesn't warrant the price though then count me out.

If I wanted to pay a tenner for badly cooked yet deeply pretentious fish and chips I'd have lunch in Cleethorpes wearing a dinner jacket.

I've forgoten the name of the cafe/fish &chipppery but it's just behind the station in Cleethorpes, fish, chips peas (beautifully cooked) bread & butter + drink for about £5.95 and NO dress code!

Oh thank God it's not just me that thinks that the place is totally overrated, and always has been IMO. On the rare occasion that we go I alway come out saying "never again".

If I wanted to serve myself I'd take sandwiches. If I wanted to become a menu memory man I'd have joined a magicians troupe. If I wanted to pay a tenner for badly cooked yet deeply pretentious fish and chips I'd have lunch in Cleethorpes wearing a dinner jacket. If I wanted to have an entire dinner party of six standing next to my table I'd have joined a chimps tea party.

TOTALLY agree with everything you've said. I couldn't stand how you had to go an order your food at the bar, and then your dessert if you wanted one. How bloomin rude, and as you say 11 quid for greasy fish and chips, you'd expect them to ask you for your order at the table. Not for me any more thank you very much!

I haven't been for about 10 months but I have been a few times and loved Thyme Cafe, it was a wonderful restaurant with different food. I know they have changed management and last time I went I didn't like the head waiter anywhere as much as the old guy who was really friendly and attentive. I will be sad if it has gone really down hill as it was one of my faves.