Waste Carrier's Licence - Are You Aware?

Are you aware of Waste Carrier's Licence and Householders Responsibilities?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Are you aware of Waste Carrier's Licence and Householders Responsibilities?

• Aware of Carrier's Licence requirement
    • NOT aware of Carrier's licence requirement
    • Aware of Householder's obligations
    • UNAWARE of Householders obligations
    • Aware but choose to disregard

if you go on to environmental agency website you can download the relevant forms - oktherwise just call them. Complete the simple forms and send in cheque (think it was £144 - for three years) and you should receive within about 6 weeks (we got ours within a couple of weeks) That is what was so bloody annoying for us was the fact that we weren't aware of it, and it seems that so few people are - we would never have avoided taking the licence out. Anyway, it's all resolved now - we now have a licence and everyone is happy!

This is correct any tradesperson carrying waste material from their job or premises to disposal must hold the relevant waste carriers licence also have the receipt for disposal available This does not apply to private householders. In regards the fence issue it is also highly likely that it had been treated with creosote or some other now banned preservative and all these old fences are not allowed to be burnt or disposed of with general wood waste and are required to be separated . I read some months ago that a purge in this area was going on also involving police traffic officers stopping vehicles over this issue an d enforceing this little known law. They targeted i believe the travellers who move rubbish for a living most knew nothing of this either but fines of around £200 i or there abouts i think were imposed. Timbola builder

If you go to a private tip you are obliged to produce a waste carriers licence. Without they should not allow you to tip your rubbish in their yard.

When you do get one keep an eye on the expiry date. I have heard they do not issue reminders and if you let it run out you have to pay the full price again, but renew before expiry and it is cheaper.

Think every one is missing the point another stealth tax .

Think every one is missing the point another stealth tax .

More like another way to kill off small business'

Legislation is changing again soon this year. There are going to be differerent levels of carriers. There are also different rules if you are a charity. The requirements for the content of your waste transfer not are changing. If anyone needs advice ask away as this is what I do for a living. I can design your waste transfer notes and get the three part carbon copy books printed for you and show you how to complete them.

A lot of trades people move hazardous waste (used to be called special waste) and they don't even realise it. A lot of 'ordinary' items are classed as hazardous and need to move using a consignmnet note and often an ADR driver if they are hazardous for transport.

More like another way to kill off small business'

How can £150 over three years kill off a business?:huh:

councils complain about flytippers,councils create flytipping.by having all these stupid laws stopping vans with household waste going to the skips they are creating their own problems.

councils complain about flytippers,councils create flytipping.by having all these stupid laws stopping vans with household waste going to the skips they are creating their own problems.

They don't stop you. They don't let anyone in as a matter of course as we as tax payers can't be expected to pay for trade waste when someone has been paid to remove it. If you contact your council they will issue you with a number of tickets that allows you so many trips to the local CA site per year (for your own domestic waste) using your van. Last time we asked Rotherham council it was quite a reasonable number of trips per year. I think it was something like 8 trips per year but that was 11 years ago.

How else do you expect the council to make sure they don't take in trade waste?

On the front of the star someone got done for moving some old branches in his van that he had cut down.

A friend of mine was working in doncaster he got pulled over to a layby he was pounced on by the lot

police checking his vehicle

Hm Customs asking where he was working how much he was charging etc

Environment Agency asking for waste license

And someone checking for red diesel

He was all above board but he must have been there 30mins when trying to do work. I can see it gets people off the road who shouldnt be on there and catches people who dont pay their taxes but its also inconvenient but I suppose they have to pull you over to obtain the information.

With regards the license if you get caught you should be given 14 days to purchase one not waste everyones time and money by taking people to court

On the front of the star someone got done for moving some old branches in his van that he had cut down.

A friend of mine was working in doncaster he got pulled over to a layby he was pounced on by the lot

police checking his vehicle

Hm Customs asking where he was working how much he was charging etc

Environment Agency asking for waste license

And someone checking for red diesel

He was all above board but he must have been there 30mins when trying to do work. I can see it gets people off the road who shouldnt be on there and catches people who dont pay their taxes but its also inconvenient but I suppose they have to pull you over to obtain the information.

With regards the license if you get caught you should be given 14 days to purchase one not waste everyones time and money by taking people to court

Why should they give you 14 days to buy a license? :huh: That wouldn't be an incentive to do things legally.

They might have to stop you to see if you have a waste transfer note or if you have red diesel but not to see if you are a registerd waste carrier. You can check the Environment Agency public register by phone or on line. If you are a registered carrier then you are likely to have a waste transfer note.

Link to EA public register.

http://www2.environment-agency.gov.uk/epr/search.asp