Waste Carrier's Licence - Are You Aware?

Are you aware of Waste Carrier's Licence and Householders Responsibilities?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Are you aware of Waste Carrier's Licence and Householders Responsibilities?

• Aware of Carrier's Licence requirement
    • NOT aware of Carrier's licence requirement
    • Aware of Householder's obligations
    • UNAWARE of Householders obligations
    • Aware but choose to disregard

The environment Agency surely should be seen as a body that is to make our society a better place - this surely is best done by way of educating people, rather than prosecuting those unaware. There must be thousands of businesses and householders who are unaware of the legislations and who would happily comply - they are not going to get the respect of people by acting in this way. I can understand them prosecuting if someone has been made aware and have done nothing to rectify the situation but to act in this manner they will be seen as public enemy rather than environmental proectors. Surely an advertising campaign would pay by way of the applications for licences, which must run into thousands.

that's a good idea. I wish more people would respond to the poll - but I suppose for many it is of no great interest and probaqbly pretty boring to them really. What IS interesting that there is only 1 person who is aware and chooses to disregard, therefore if people were aware then most would act upon it and not choose to disregard it.

• 1 year later...

Well I'm well and truly confused now ! As a sole trader Joiner/Builder. I have become aware over the years that the companies I have worked for, all have a Waste Carriers Licence. Which is a Legal requirement to enable that business to carry and dispose of trade waste. I searched 'Waste Carriers Licence' on google and was directed to this site. I merely wanted to find out, to whom or to what Authority to apply.......Is it Sheffield Council, or the Environment Agency? I would be grateful if someone who has done proper research would kindly inform me......Thank you in anticipation.......As a continuation of your discussion tho, I watched a television 'Documentary' About Scrap thieves, A vehicle was stopped by the police and the scrap metal in the car was confiscated, as the occupants stated that the copper was from a job he had just done, although no further action was taken, it was stated that the driver was also liable to prosecution for not having a waste carriers Licence. Pity you're not online Sally !

• 3 weeks later...

if you go on to environmental agency website you can download the relevant forms - oktherwise just call them. Complete the simple forms and send in cheque (think it was £144 - for three years) and you should receive within about 6 weeks (we got ours within a couple of weeks) That is what was so bloody annoying for us was the fact that we weren't aware of it, and it seems that so few people are - we would never have avoided taking the licence out. Anyway, it's all resolved now - we now have a licence and everyone is happy!

• 8 months later...

This is correct any tradesperson carrying waste material from their job or premises to disposal must hold the relevant waste carriers licence also have the receipt for disposal available This does not apply to private householders. In regards the fence issue it is also highly likely that it had been treated with creosote or some other now banned preservative and all these old fences are not allowed to be burnt or disposed of with general wood waste and are required to be separated . I read some months ago that a purge in this area was going on also involving police traffic officers stopping vehicles over this issue an d enforceing this little known law. They targeted i believe the travellers who move rubbish for a living most knew nothing of this either but fines of around £200 i or there abouts i think were imposed. Timbola builder

If you go to a private tip you are obliged to produce a waste carriers licence. Without they should not allow you to tip your rubbish in their yard.

When you do get one keep an eye on the expiry date. I have heard they do not issue reminders and if you let it run out you have to pay the full price again, but renew before expiry and it is cheaper.