Waste Carrier's Licence - Are You Aware?

Are you aware of Waste Carrier's Licence and Householders Responsibilities?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Are you aware of Waste Carrier's Licence and Householders Responsibilities?

• Aware of Carrier's Licence requirement
    • NOT aware of Carrier's licence requirement
    • Aware of Householder's obligations
    • UNAWARE of Householders obligations
    • Aware but choose to disregard

my point chez2 is that flytipping costs councils thousands of pounds to clear up,surely it would be cheaper to let vans with Household waste to use council tips,i recently applied to rotherham council for these vouchers but was turned down because my van is registered to a business.

Our vehicle was a private vehicle.

No it wouldn't be cheaper for the council to let people in. Even though a lot of waste is sorted and recycled the price per tonne at the gate is still close to that of landfill at most sites to cover the overheads. Landfill tax is £56/t then a basic disposal price/t. You also have to consider the type of license the site would need to accept trade waste and an increased volume of waste. Its nowhere near as simple as you think. Have a look on the EA website.

I do know business often take things in to CA sites as they have told me themselves. I am talking about the producer not a middle person. Waste is so expensive and it would cost us a lot more in council tax. There are loads of places locally to take your waste but you have to pay for it. Disposal prices should be built into part of the costings of the job as they are with any commercial job. Small skips are fairly cheap to put at a customers site.

How can £150 over three years kill off a business?:huh:

I though that this thread had died and I was lead to believe that the licence was a lot more than this but this may be for larger waste transporters. Just checked it's £154 for 3 years not as bad as I thought:o

They don't stop you. They don't let anyone in as a matter of course as we as tax payers can't be expected to pay for trade waste when someone has been paid to remove it. If you contact your council they will issue you with a number of tickets that allows you so many trips to the local CA site per year (for your own domestic waste) using your van. Last time we asked Rotherham council it was quite a reasonable number of trips per year. I think it was something like 8 trips per year but that was 11 years ago.

How else do you expect the council to make sure they don't take in trade waste?

I've recently taken garden waste in the van and I was informed that I was only allowed 3 visits in the van per rolling year. :loopy:

I though that this thread had died and I was lead to believe that the licence was a lot more than this but this may be for larger waste transporters. Just checked it's £154 for 3 years not as bad as I thought:o

There are some changes coming regarding different tiers of carrier but the fee you mention is full fee. This fee would also be the maximum to register for a carrier and broker or dealer if done at the same time. If a company has a number of sites they are all covered by the same fee.

I pay my council tax so i should be able to take my household waste to the skip in a car,van,or even a batmobile,fact is that councils could stop flytipping by allowing all vehicles to dispose of household waste,and you could charge people to dump trade waste.

I pay my council tax so i should be able to take my household waste to the skip in a car,van,or even a batmobile,fact is that councils could stop flytipping by allowing all vehicles to dispose of household waste,and you could charge people to dump trade waste.

The fly tippers don't want to pay (which is why they fly tip anyway) so why would charging at a CA site stop it?

No you are wrong. There are many types of exemptions, licenses and permits which vary in terms of annual charge, skill level of staff to operate them and annual tonnages. CA sites don't run on the type of license that means they can accept trade waste. These details are on the EA website under exemtions, permits etc for you to view yourself if you don't believe me.

My question is this :

I have a Skip every month at a Cost Of £130 which I pay for which is through a licensnced who proabably pays thousands a year in taxes and levys and recycles about 80% so why the hell should I pay to take it to my hired skip surely if I just give them information they can check the carrier no illegal dumping etc.

My question is this :

I have a Skip every month at a Cost Of £130 which I pay for which is through a licensnced who proabably pays thousands a year in taxes and levys and recycles about 80% so why the hell should I pay to take it to my hired skip surely if I just give them information they can check the carrier no illegal dumping etc.

Your post seems a bit confused so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Are you trying to say you shouldn't pay be a registered waste carrier? If you remove waste from any of your jobs regardless of where you take it you need to be a licenced waste carrier to legally carry the waste. Its a cost of less that £1 per day anyway so its not exactly expensive.

I have a large lwb van( private i should add ) ,and ive been down to the tip today with a sofa . ok ,the jobsworths wont let you in , but i asked the bloke if i could park outside and carry it in ,and that was fine . he even helped me carry it. how stupid is that . :loopy:

What is the difference between driving in and parking outside and carrying it in .

it was same sofa i was disposing of.:huh: