Waste Carrier's Licence - Are You Aware?

Are you aware of Waste Carrier's Licence and Householders Responsibilities?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Are you aware of Waste Carrier's Licence and Householders Responsibilities?

• Aware of Carrier's Licence requirement
    • NOT aware of Carrier's licence requirement
    • Aware of Householder's obligations
    • UNAWARE of Householders obligations
    • Aware but choose to disregard

Just wondered how many are aware of requirements for this. We have just fallen fowl of it - my husband was carrying fencing on his pick up which he had removed from a job he had carried out. He drove into the yard of his unit and a white van followed him in. He was then asked where the fencing was from and then asked if he had a Waste Carrier Licence (the white van had followed him from the north to south of Sheffield). This is the first we knew of sch a requirement - HOWEVER there was not Christmas spirit shown and he was informed he would receive a summons (looking on the net, fines range from hundreds to thousands!) My husband has never been in trouble with the law and has a completely clean driving licence - he would not have taken a risk when the carrier licence is only £144 for three years. This applies to ANYONE, be it builders, electricians, plumbers, etc - ANYONE who removes goods from an address.

Further, upon researching on the net, householders are responsible for waste taken from their property, even if it is removed by a trader. It is the householder's responsibility to ask to see the licence of the person removing it.

Upon enquiring with other business acquaintances, few seem to be aware of this, and just wondered generally, how many are, or are not aware.

Needless to say we have now submitted an application, but have been told it can take up to two months to process!

I would be very surprised if this is based on fact I find it hard to beleive if I replaced my garden fence with new and I USED A PICKUP TO TRANSPORT IT TO THE COUNCIL TIP that I would require a licence to do so. I honestly believe this is not true.

So after all your research on the net will you please provide any links to confirm your so called facts.

Or take it further if I did my neighbour a favour and did the exact same thing for them I would be committing an offence

http://www.ealing.gov.uk/press_releases/2007/june_2007/pr998.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

The Waste Carriers Licence applies to businesses but it is STILL the householders responsibility to ensure that the waste is being correctly disposed off and they are themselves legally responsible. So, for example, if you have work done and that person takes away anything from your address to dispose off, you should ask to see his licence. If you do not, and he disposes of the waste illegally, then you are responsible. This applies throughout the whole of the UK

afraid you are wrong it only applies to a business that is employed to move waste it does not mean tradesmen who are not employed in the waste business your information and misleading I doubt very much the incident ever happened as stated.

when your husband allegedly got stopped did anyone before talking to him say the magic words YOU ARE NOT OBLIGED TO SAY ANYTHING BUT ANYTHING YOU DO SAY WILL BE TAKEN DOWN AND MAY BE ETC .ETC.ETC. if the answer is NO then you wont recieve a summons end of story.

if what you say is correct approx 4000 motorists a week break the law at douglas road tip alone

you come and represent us at court then when we receive our summons!

I only wish you was right - we certainly didn't know anything about it until just before Xmas! My hubby pays £120 for skips and over £50 a time at a private tip and yet we've still fallen foul of the law!

http://www.charnwood.gov.uk/uploads/factsheet-failuretofurnishwastecarrierslic.pdf -

you will see that it includes ANY traders, including plumbers, elctricians, etc

Excert from above link:

What Type Of Companies Will Need The Necessary

Authority?

Any company that would transfer waste as part of their business

will need the necessary documentation.

This could include: plumbers, builders, home clearance companies

or anyone that transfers waste in any capacity for their business.

http://www.dumbdumpers.org/index.asp?tm=6 - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

http://www.ealing.gov.uk/press_releases/2007/june_2007/pr998.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

The Waste Carriers Licence applies to businesses but it is STILL the householders responsibility to ensure that the waste is being correctly disposed off and they are themselves legally responsible. So, for example, if you have work done and that person takes away anything from your address to dispose off, you should ask to see his licence. If you do not, and he disposes of the waste illegally, then you are responsible. This applies throughout the whole of the UK

yes but what as this got to do with some fence that was taken and it was not dumped it was taken to your husbands yard nothing as been dumped or disposed off presumably your husband was going to reuse the fence so it was in reality not waste am I correct

It doesn't matter whether the fence was going to be re-used r properly disposed of at the tip or in a skip - the fact is that a business requires a Waste CARRIERS licence to actually CARRY the waste and the householder should see that licence.

I know!!!!! :huh::huh:It takes some getting your head round it - we were absolutely stunned - like I say we wouldn't avoid paying £144 (for 3 yrs) if we had known abut it - we pay more than that in vehicle tax.

If you do a search o waste carriers licence in google, it ill bring up loads of info and all will become clear - what I don't understand is that they're now going to take us to court for something we knew nothing about, and I'm pretty sure most householders don't know about it either - that is why I have started this poll (though most people are probably totally disinterested! (don't blame them) - yet more beurocracy!

give a direct link to law the law that a plumber requires to have waste carriers licence to remove a old toilet from my house or a joiner requires to have the same to take the old door that he as just replaced or any tradesman has to have a waste carriers licence to remove any article from my home and take it to his yard or premises if you find a link that proves this I will go to bed