Ecclesfield 'village'

Thanks for that. I honestly thought it was later than that. My memory must be better than I first thought. I do remember the fire. My Dad told me not to go near the site, but as we all know, we think we know best. I stank of burning ashes when I returned home, so he knew I had been there.

Do you remember the old wooden hut in Mill Road, being burned down? After the first world war, the Wortley Rural DC erected four ex army huts on the present site of the prefabs. They were used for housing (just like the old Potter Hill camp). When they were demolished, one was left standing and it was used by WRDC as a store for old newspapers retrieved from the dustbins. One night it was set alight, by a person or persons unknown. I am confident that this was Saturday 4 July 1953.

If the hut(s) that burned down was used at one time for anything to do with German POWs (I'm led to believe they helped lay the roads around the Colley area) I know exactly who did it. My father 'fessed-up to a teenage arson spree involving circumstances and dates very similar to this. I often wondered where the scene of the naughty boy's crime was.

If the hut(s) that burned down was used at one time for anything to do with German POWs (I'm led to believe they helped lay the roads around the Colley area) I know exactly who did it. My father 'fessed-up to a teenage arson spree involving circumstances and dates very similar to this. I often wondered where the scene of the naughty boy's crime was.
so what was or is your old mans name then:hihi:

so what was or is your old mans name then:hihi:

I'll let him keep his secret. Suffice it to say, the experience steered him towards his eventual career path.:)

Dan, I believe you are right. It did look like an army hut. Rather like the ones depicted in war films etc.

Hi Mal

It was the Church Lads Brigade(Tuesday nights at The Gatty Hall) of which your brother was a member

Lads of your age who were also members.....Les Sorsby,Mick Hanson,David Catlyn,David Marsden etc.

I was talking to Nipper Turner the other day and said I was in contact with you. He said that he remembers your Dad being a sawdoctor and that he used to bring his saws to him for sharpening.... 2/6d each...

T

Hi Tony, dad was a sawdoctor and used to do his saws up in our attic. He worked for Elsworths in Hillsborough near Owlerton and then worked on the coke ovens for years but went back to Elsworths and retired from there and came to live in Perth in 1973. I still have his little hammer that he used to use and I am sure if I had to I could sharpen a saw as I used to watch him regularly. We used to play up in the attic and I remember in one corner we were never allowed to go as the floor had dry rot and there was a hole in the floor.

Our house was old with no electricity or hot water not even a sink just a stone slab. I remember Frank always putting the match through the gas mantle and getting told off!!!!!

Dan, I believe you are right. It did look like an army hut. Rather like the ones depicted in war films etc.

Hi Nigel I remember the POW's in the village as mum bought a toy from one of them. It was a table tennis racket with a ball and string and a toy chicken on the top so that when you bounced it the chicken pecked. I think they were working in the village.

I am trying to find out as much information as possible about the "Old" High Greave pub, around 1951. Land Lord Arthur Gregory, who I think is my Great Grandad. I have found a picture of the pub when it was at the front, but would just like some information / details of anything to do with it around that time, and any information about Arthur.

I can't tell you much, other than that I remember Arthur Gregory being the landlord of the High Greave pub when we moved into a house on the opposite side of the road. There are, of course, a lot of Gregorys in Ecclesfield, but which of them is related to Arthur I wouldn't know. (There was a Gregory family that owned the garage next door to the pub). I feel sure that if you made contact with the landlord of the new High Greave pub he could put you in touch with any surviving old timers. A letter to The Star (they have a nostalgia page on Saturdays) might also throw up some info. Whether the library in Ecclesfield, or the Local Studies dept in the Central Library, could help is also worth looking into. A last suggestion: the Sheffield History site has a lot of details of Sheffield pubs.

Amy, Arthur Gregory had (I think) three children - Eric, Arthur and Betty. Eric is my neighbour. Before The High Greave,Arthur was Steward at Ecclesfield WMC. I have had a word with Eric. See my private message to you.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

Nigel

Thanks for that. Yes he had 3 children, Arthur is my Grandad, so I will ask him for more info on my Great-Grandad. Was just wondering if anybody on here had any memories etc of my Great - Grandad as I am planning on doing a scrap book for my Dad's bday with family tree etc. I didn't know that my Great - Grandad was also steward at Ecclesfield WMC, and never heard my Dad mention it so maybe he never knew either, so thank you for that information :)

if i remember correctly prior to 1969, the landlord of the travellers was aiden gregory, im not sure wether or not he was related to any of the other gregorys in the village. after 1969 the landlord was john lane,who was there for the following 20 years. After that it seased to become a pub and turned into just another glorified cafe. it used to be a proper pub ,i had some good sessions in the old tap room and was good freinds with john and mary and there 2 sons. sorry to wander of topic a bit.....just reminising.

Edited by sycamore66j

Haydn was related to most of the Gregorys in Ecclesfield. He and his wife lived on 'Pilley Row' after they left The Travellers