DVD rental/council rant

Far be it from me to start such a trivial thread when many more serious issues to discuss, but where on earth are you supposed to rend dvds/vids when you live in the city centre?

After 18 months in Leeds have just moved back to Sheffield City Centre. Previously lived on Devonshire Green and used to rend vids from the shop on the road that has now been closed off because of Forum extension. Been there tonight and it's turned into a non-dvd/vid renting Spar!!!

Surely with the new city centre population there must be a captive market? (note to self: possible business opportunity???)

And that leads me to another question. Has the increase in city centre living led to an increase in support services? Eg new doctors surgeries etc?????? As a former employee of Sheffield Social Services I know GPs in the city centre are V stretched dealing with homeless, drug addicts, street drinkers and asylum seekers. I am not in any way trying to lay blame at any of these groups of the community, but would like to raise the question as to whether developers take this into consideration, or indeed the council when granting planning permission,

As I said, I used to work for the council and know the best way to try and address this, ie write to local councillor. It might not sound revolutionary, but believe me, as a former council officer, I know when a councillor gets on your case, you jump!!!!!!! Otherwise there's a chance the big D (disciplinary) comes into play.

Results depend on who the councillor is tho. You either need a big cheese in the ruling party, or a loud voice in the opposition.

Archived