Can I park here?

Originally posted by hotphil

One of two observations I guess, either

a) if you keep an eye out I suspect you'll find that the large "space" isn't there all day and that when you see someone apparently taking up several spaces, they in fact parked quite sensibly at the time they arrived

- or -

b) you live near a load of gits

How true is that...

I the other day was parking in a Mcdonalds car park imbetween 2 badly parked cars... i just drove straight in when my partner pointed out to me that i wasnt in the white lines... i only parked the way i did so an other car could get in beside me... With a bit of thought i reversed out an parked within the proper white lined space... showing just how badly the 2 cars beside me had really parked :lol:

Sorry slighty off thread there :(

Originally posted by Strix

Don't think egg constitutes criminal damage. Try being more considerate next time. Walking doesn't generally kill people. Where would you have parked if somebody had already taken this 'space'?

Firstly, a car is never in their drive, so what they need access for i don't quite now. Secondly, why should i have to walk, why don't they? It's the same principle as we've established that legally our rights are the same to that piece of road. Thirdly, I only park there when there are literally no other spaces on the road, but since they egged my car i might have to re-consider that. By defacing my property, their argument loses all credence.

Originally posted by Leigh

but since they egged my car i might have to re-consider that. By defacing my property, their argument loses all credence.

They're not trying to win an argument - they're trying to stop you blocking access to their property! - looks like its worked a treat!!

:suspect::twisted::wink:

Originally posted by Edd

They're not trying to win an argument - they're trying to stop you blocking access to their property! - looks like its worked a treat!!

:suspect::twisted::wink:

I'm merely blocking access to their unused drive to which i'm legally perfectly entitled to. I will not be considerate to those who have no consideration for my property.

Firstly, a car is never in their drive, so what they need access for i don't quite now. Secondly, why should i have to walk, why don't they? It's the same principle as we've established that legally our rights are the same to that piece of road. Thirdly, I only park there when there are literally no other spaces on the road, but since they egged my car i might have to re-consider that. By defacing my property, their argument loses all credence.

what they need access for isn't really the point is it.

I have a drive, sometimes i choose not park on it and park across it instead, i can do that because it's my access to block.

When someone else parks across it I put a note on the windscreen that looks like a parking ticket until unfolded asking them not to do it again. I also keep a note of the registration, haven't had anyone do it twice yet. I've also been known to sit in the car and blow the horn until someone comes out to move it (if there's no other space to park in), normally works.

They don't have to walk because they have a drive. whether they choose to park in it or to park across is their business really. Although if they have 2 cars it's a bit greedy not to park in it and across it.

And it's not the same principle, you both have the same right to drive on that bit of road, but you have an obligation not to obstruct access to a driveway, they don't have that obligation to their own driveway.

I'm merely blocking access to their unused drive to which i'm legally perfectly entitled to. I will not be considerate to those who have no consideration for my property.

You have a legal right to use the highways of course (assuming you have a valid road tax disc :P ), but you dont have a legal right to block access. Whether or not the drive was in use at the time (or at any time) is not relevant.

I agree they could have been more considerate though :) Did you leave a note on your car giving them a number they could reach you on if they required access?

You're lucky they're nice people. I'd have let your tyres down. My friend with a landrover would've towed you into the middle of the road, and I've heard that 'please don't park here' notices pritted to all of your windows are really difficult to remove :D

And how do you know what usage their driveway gets? I'm not surprised there's never a car on it if 'people' like you keep parking across it.

I bet you didn't even have the courtesy to leave your phone number in the window so they could ask you to move the offending vehicle if necessary.

It's inconsideration like your's that causes the 'rage' problems in society today.

For all the parker knows, the drive is required for the diasbled owner of the house to be picked up each lunchtime and taken to hospital for physiotherapy or something. It may not be being used at the time someone blocks it, but that's no real excuse for the selfishness of doing so.

Many people park in my road and then get the tram during the day. They cause all kinds of nuisance but by and large park reasonably sensibly. However, if I had a drive and got home each night to find that I couldn't get into my drive because someone had driven to where I live and dumped their car, I can't say I'd be terribly chuffed. It's just rude.

And just because something's not illegal doesn't mean it's right to do it. The parker may feel they have no choice but to park in that spot, but that's not really a point of view that stands up.

If the residents of the area start complaining enough then the parker may be forced to do something else as one of those ridiculous "20mph residents only" areas gets introduced.

Originally posted by Edd

You have a legal right to use the highways of course (assuming you have a valid road tax disc :P ), but you dont have a legal right to block access. Whether or not the drive was in use at the time (or at any time) is not relevant.

I agree they could have been more considerate though :) Did you leave a note on your car giving them a number they could reach you on if they required access?

The point is not whether or not it is in use at the time, but whether it is a "driveway".

If it does not have a drop kerb it is highly unlikely that it is officially recognised as a driveway.

Originally posted by Yodameister

The point is not whether or not it is in use at the time, but whether it is a "driveway".

Sorry, but the real point is that it is very sad that someone thinks that it is acceptable to block someone's access (contrary to the highway code and contrary to what I regard as common decency).

If you look at some of Leigh's other posts you will realise that the right for him to park his car close to where he wants is something rather important to him!

It sounds like Leigh is just a self-centred, pig-ignorant person who quite frankly is lucky only to have his car egged.

I would have been tempted to drag his car into the middle of the road and called the police to report the blockage of the road by a heavily vandilsed, abandoned, stolen car.

But surely if they haven't got a dropped kerb, then they don't have a legal right to claim this as access to their property.

Surely anyone can rip out some privet, concrete a bit of front garden and claim this pathetic right to 'own' the piece of road in front of their house.

These clowns who egged the car are obviously nutters:loopy:

Anyhow, the highway code states 'access', not 'vehicular access'.