Can I park here?

Originally posted by Zebra

How would you feel if you spent, say £2,000 having a drive laid, adding to the value of your property, reducing the amount of parking spaces needed on the road,.................

.............whilst reducing the amount of parking spaces available to other road users in the process?

Sorry Markham I disagree. In my case, it takes more room to park across my drive than in it. Maybe it depends on your car, a smart car wouldn't make much difference but a Volvo estate certainly would.

I'm thinking since cars are narrower in width than longer in length it still saves space.

Good point Zebra.:thumbsup:

I'm thinking in relation to my road. We can only park on one side as it is too narrow, and the bend makes it dangerous for other traffic if we park on our side. When people drive off their driveways they need cars parked on the road to be a good six feet or so away from the entrances so they have room to swing out. And believe me, they won't hesitate to knock on your door and ask you 'politely' to move your car a bit so they can get in or out even when there's clearly room to swing a limousine.

The space that ends up being kept clear for these people works out at about one and a half car lengths! And if this isn't bad enough, a lot of them when they can't be bothered parking on the drive, park on the road, at the 'side' of their drive, instead of 'across' it, cutting down the parking available even more.

Now if that isn't thoughtless ignorance, what is?

Sheesh, can't say I envy you.

There's about 3 cars width where I live and we can park both sides. There's generally either a mysterious someone or my partner who parks directly in front of our house and leaves exactly the width of the drive for me to get in.

I am an absolute master at precision reverse parking as a result lol.

In fact, mysterious someone was parked slightly across the drive tonight, which meant I had to reverse at a angle to get in and thank god for power steering.

There's a tiny ajoining wall to my neighbours drive which all the neighbours assumed I would knock over when I passed my test. 6 years on, it wasn't me, but rather a 65 year old friend with 40 odd years driving experience who tumbled the wall!