Worst tackle ever ?

pitsmoorlad

"German Keeper was Schumacher and player inujred was batiston (i think) and YES it was DEFFO the worst challenge have ever seen,french guy was lucky to come out of it alive it was that bad,weird thing is the goalkeeper didnt even get a yellow card for it!+"

I think the ref ignored it completely, wasn't even a free kick!!

German Keeper was Schumacher and player inujred was batiston (i think) and YES it was DEFFO the worst challenge have ever seen,french guy was lucky to come out of it alive it was that bad,weird thing is the goalkeeper didnt even get a yellow card for it!+

If same challenge happend now keeper wouldve been banned for months

..in fact the ref gave a goal kick, I believe !!

David Busst for Coventry, where half his leg was hanging off against Man Utd takes the prize for me. Schmeical was lobbing up on the pitch when he saw it. Cant find a vid though.

Take your pick.

That wasn't a tackle though mate! He just slid in for the ball to try and grab a goal. Horrible injury though.

My vote (for intent anyway) has to go to Roy Keane. He even admitted he tried to hurt Haaland in that tackle in his autobiography!

..in fact the ref gave a goal kick, I believe !!

Quite right.

I believe the reason for this was that (in the eyes of the referee, who doesn't get replays) Schumacher was already in the air when Battiston played the ball past him: once you're in the air, you have no control whatsoever about where you land and who you hit.

Well, that much is true, but it was a blatantly dangerous manoeuvre whether he would've got the ball or not. One of the few I've seen that I think should have been investigated by the police, not the football authorities.

At a later date, Schumacher did formally give an apology to Battiston, which was accepted. No bad blood remained between them. Shumacher's stated reason for not going to check on him immediately (which I tend to believe) was that the various French players clustered around their fallen team-mate would quite likely have lynched him.

I can't remember if it was through a tackle or a clash of heads but over ten years ago Reading's Trevor Morley had a couple of metal plates attached to his skull and was out for a while. I remember seeing photographs of the staples half way round his head and he had to wear some mask the poor guy!!!

Quite right.

I believe the reason for this was that (in the eyes of the referee, who doesn't get replays) Schumacher was already in the air when Battiston played the ball past him: once you're in the air, you have no control whatsoever about where you land and who you hit.

Well, that much is true, but it was a blatantly dangerous manoeuvre whether he would've got the ball or not. One of the few I've seen that I think should have been investigated by the police, not the football authorities.

At a later date, Schumacher did formally give an apology to Battiston, which was accepted. No bad blood remained between them. Shumacher's stated reason for not going to check on him immediately (which I tend to believe) was that the various French players clustered around their fallen team-mate would quite likely have lynched him.

If Mr Styles could give a penalty against Mr Morgan for "intent" against Mr Gerrard,then how that wasn't a foul by Mr Schumacher is beyond belief.

I believe that the violent keeper (bearing in mind I played in the net) said that "I was in a heightened state of conciousness" when he nearly killed Battiston, defies belief.

Let alone the decision from the officials. Even at the age of 8 (by a week), I grimaced at such an appalling challenge.

If Mr Styles could give a penalty against Mr Morgan for "intent" against Mr Gerrard,then how that wasn't a foul by Mr Schumacher is beyond belief.

That's the reasoning that, from what I've heard, was behind his decision. I don't for one second agree with that reasoning.

Bear in mind also that refereeing standards have changed enormously even in the twenty-odd years between Harald Schumacher and Chris Morgan. If a goalkeeper pulled that stunt now, it would be the last thing he ever did in his career - back then, it warranted a red card, probably. (This was the tournament of Gentile, Baresi and Scirea, lest anyone forget!)