Worst tackle ever ?

pitsmoorlad

Shocking, did you go?

'More of a war zone than a football match...'

I was there, and as soon as his boots touched the turf, the ball went to Johnson. Santos went in like an intercontinental ballistic missile.

Indeed, as soon as he was sent on, we all thought "Oh Jesus".

It was inexcusable in sport, and I still wonder why the hell St Warnock put him on, but having seen what happened previously v Forest in the ground; how that nearly blinded George; how that nearly ended everything for him as a player, I can partly understand his wish for retribution.

The worst thing for me is how Suffo became a scapegoat.

Dennis Irwin being tackled by .... if memory serves, someone playing for a Dutch team .. Guderian will know exactly which one I mean. That was a leg-breaker if ever I saw one.

However, if we use "worst" in a more general sense, I nominate Emlyn Hughes for his 'crazy horse' tackle. Even the referee fell about laughing.

Bosvelt I believe his name was, away at Feyenoord......

Also remember a Souness tackle for Rangers against some team in Europe at Ibrox -I think they were Romanian.

I will try and find some footage....

Bosvelt I believe his name was, away at Feyenoord......

You're spot on, now you've mentioned his name I know it.

Also remember a Souness tackle for Rangers against some team in Europe at Ibrox -I think they were Romanian.

I will try and find some footage....

Is that the one where he tackled the man's tackle? :D

The Athletico Madrid v Celtic European Cup Semi Final in the early 70s had to be seen to be believed. Athletico had three players sent off and basically just kicked Jimmy Johnstone with all the force they could muster, every time he got the ball.

The Athletico Madrid v Celtic European Cup Semi Final in the early 70s had to be seen to be believed. Athletico had three players sent off and basically just kicked Jimmy Johnstone with all the force they could muster, every time he got the ball.

I remember that one pretty well. And 50 fouls in a match was unusual in those days.

That's the reasoning that, from what I've heard, was behind his decision. I don't for one second agree with that reasoning.

Bear in mind also that refereeing standards have changed enormously even in the twenty-odd years between Harald Schumacher and Chris Morgan. If a goalkeeper pulled that stunt now, it would be the last thing he ever did in his career - back then, it warranted a red card, probably. (This was the tournament of Gentile, Baresi and Scirea, lest anyone forget!)

Utterly agreed.

Shocking, did you go?

'More of a war zone than a football match...'

Certainly did.

Surprsingly, it is one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. The game got abandoned, 3 sendings off (should have been 5 or 6 for United alone), even the fans got in on the behaviour.

The challenge is absolutely shocking though, the way Johnson flies through the air would make you believe there would be lasting damage, but it was not to be the case.

Certainly did.

Surprsingly, it is one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. The game got abandoned, 3 sendings off (should have been 5 or 6 for United alone), even the fans got in on the behaviour.

The challenge is absolutely shocking though, the way Johnson flies through the air would make you believe there would be lasting damage, but it was not to be the case.

Mr Curle seemed to be intent on starting a brawl. I thought it was a terrible match until the mayhem started, when it took on a whole new meaning.