Sat nav problems

I've recently got a tomtom - had no problems with it so far except in Doncaster - the roundabout near the Dome is now non-existant and it tried to tell me to turn right at the roundabout, but after I took a wrong turning, it corrected itself and sent me on my way.

My roadangel 6000 has been spot on 99%of the time, the only times you can confuse it is by going a different route to that suggested ( accidentally or deliberately ). If this is a minor diversion (I ie. "local" ), the satnav will catch up, otherwise it will try and turn you back onto your original route for a few miles ( ie. if you miss the parkway jctn, it will take you to mhall and through the airport back to the parkway, not past the arena and along the wicker )

I've found that cancelling the current route then bringing the destination back up again sorts it out.

The problem with satnav is that some people assume that once you've turned the sat nav on your can turn your common sense off.

Clearly you shouldn't be blindly following your sat nav in a direction that is obviously wrong, such as down a dirt track marked "Off-road vehicles only", into the middle of a level crossing, or the wrong way down a one way street. If you do, you are stupid.

But neither should you be trusting in a sat nav to get you through parts of a route that are blindingly obvious without it.

You need a TomTom One GB.

Beware of cheap wannabees.

I'd agree with that.

I'm a relatively new driver (passed in Dec 06) and was bought one by my grandparents for my 18th birthday in May. The reason we went for a TomTom was purely because if a wrong turn was made, within 5 seconds an alternative route was planned so there was nothing for me to worry about. :hihi:

My experience is with Garmin and it's been excellent.

Door to door in england, france, holland, italy, malta.

Always been spot on (it did send me down a dirt track in france on a motorbike tho but I made it :) )

Ive got a TomTom One. I use it everyday with no problems. Saves me so much hassle

The problem with satnav is that some people assume that once you've turned the sat nav on your can turn your common sense off.

Clearly you shouldn't be blindly following your sat nav in a direction that is obviously wrong, such as down a dirt track marked "Off-road vehicles only", into the middle of a level crossing, or the wrong way down a one way street. If you do, you are stupid.

But neither should you be trusting in a sat nav to get you through parts of a route that are blindingly obvious without it.

The voice of wisdom! It doesn't matter whether you have a tomtomwhatthehell, or whatever, you have to use them as guidance rather than scripture.

Really, I have one and do lots of miles for work so its handy, but the day that it "drives" me into a river is never going to happen, as I am of that old fashioned group that thinks that a good map and a smidge of common sense is important

Enjoy your bit of kit, but think outside it!

I normally use something called a 'map'. It's a bit old-fashioned, but it's never put me wrong yet.

When I were a lad, we'd navigate using t' stars.

I ended up on t' moon

i never get lost using my sat nav, as it has a tracker thing on it which picks up which roads are dead ends/closed etc. But i do have problems when it comes to the directions it picks, i travel to manchester/greater manchester quite regually and it takes me a different route every single time ! so if anyone knows how i can programme it to take me across the A57/snake pass ide love a bit of help!

tom tom one gb works fine , ive tried going all the wrong way to trick it and every time its come good .

Can't stand the things. My OH used his tomtom to get to Doncaster; sent him wrong the first time, sent us both wrong the second time.