"South Yorkshire Forest"

I've just noticed a sign coming over the M1 that I had noticed before but never really processed. Coming Northbound after the junction where the M18 joins the M1 there is a sign "South Yorkshire Forest" - a similar sign, I believe, is just outside the Sheffield North junction when coming southbound.

Now... we have a bit of (planted) forest round Oughtibridge and Grenoside and a bit around the Rother Valley country-park, but still... what is the South Yorkshire Forest? It strikes me that where these signs are it is more an advert for the fact that Sheffield and Rotherham sprawled out over what once used to be a pretty and serene forest? :help:

Does anybody know what it is about?

I've just noticed a sign coming over the M1 that I had noticed before but never really processed. Coming Northbound after the junction where the M18 joins the M1 there is a sign "South Yorkshire Forest" - a similar sign, I believe, is just outside the Sheffield North junction when coming southbound.

Now... we have a bit of (planted) forest round Oughtibridge and Grenoside and a bit around the Rother Valley country-park, but still... what is the South Yorkshire Forest? It strikes me that where these signs are it is more an advert for the fact that Sheffield and Rotherham sprawled out over what once used to be a pretty and serene forest? :help:

Does anybody know what it is about?

Seek and you will find http://www.southyorkshireforest.co.uk

Instead of ridiculing it, why don`t you sponsor a tree and plant it like the school children were doing this morning on the perimeter of the Hollinsend cricket ground.All of the trees at the bottom of Birley lane are part of the forest that were planted a few years ago.

Instead of ridiculing it, why don`t you sponsor a tree and plant it like the school children were doing this morning on the perimeter of the Hollinsend cricket ground.All of the trees at the bottom of Birley lane are part of the forest that were planted a few years ago.

But people will be disappointed when they arrive expecting a forest rather than shops, houses and everything else surrounding some trees...