IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Would a classic video game arcade be viable in Sheffield?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-10-2015, 11:41   #41
Mr Bloke
Registered User
Mr Bloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Total Posts: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal9001 View Post

Now what a coincidence that was... thanks for that!

I realise it's a bit unfair and difficult to judge numbers from the video, but the place wasn't exactly heaving, was it?

Could be the time of day, or the fact that it was only an invited audience for the video... who knows?

But it's probably something for the OP to bear in mind... along with the question "Is there a lot else to do in Bury?".

Don't forget Sheffield has lots(?) of other distractions to spend your money on...
  Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 17:15   #42
lefty21
Registered User
lefty21's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
Location: sheffield
Total Posts: 6
me for one thinks its a great idea
  Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 18:19   #43
Ravenger
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Total Posts: 749
I'd love to have one here in Sheffield. I've got a Mame arcade cabinet, and though it's ace for games that used normal joysticks, you can't really do justice to games like Star Wars without the proper controller, or vector games like Asteroids without the CRT vector monitor.
  Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 18:26   #44
Andy C
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Total Posts: 8,482
And of course those where you sat in a car or on a bike!
  Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 19:04   #45
Waldo
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Total Posts: 5,885
I'd totally love this! Doesn't mean it would make you a ton of money though. It would make sense to have a chat with the dude in Bury.
_______
01100010 01101111 01101110 01110011 01101111 01101001 01110010 00100000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101001 01101111 01110100
  Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 19:20   #46
blowfealt
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Total Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ Hazzard View Post
Just been watching "King of Kong" and came up with this idea. A classy venue selling selected alcoholic drinks/coffee filled with about 20-30 classic video game cabinets, Space Invaders, Pacman, Centipede, Galaxians, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros, maybe up to and including games from the early 90s like Street Fighter II. Would it be viable? Adults only, no kids allowed in, not that kids would be interested in playing classic arcade games in 2015.
It is already underway. I had this idea several years ago and have recently acquired a sizeable premises, part of which will be used for exactly this purpose. I paid a rather expensive market research company to find out if the idea is viable. The collected data was favourable - watch this space.
  Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 19:37   #47
Mr Bloke
Registered User
Mr Bloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Total Posts: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowfealt View Post
It is already underway. I had this idea several years ago and have recently acquired a sizeable premises, part of which will be used for exactly this purpose. I paid a rather expensive market research company to find out if the idea is viable. The collected data was favourable - watch this space.

Well if it's taken you several years to get around to acquiring suitable premises then I won't be holding my breath...
  Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 19:44   #48
blowfealt
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Total Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bloke View Post

Well if it's taken you several years to get around to acquiring suitable premises then I won't be holding my breath...
Things are really moving now - you should hold your breath, it will add to the drama on opening night.
  Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 19:48   #49
Mr Bloke
Registered User
Mr Bloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Total Posts: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowfealt View Post
Things are really moving now - you should hold your breath, it will add to the drama on opening night.

Thanks for the invite...

... I'd better go and lubricate my joystick!
  Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 21:40   #50
scania
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Total Posts: 280
I mentioned this idea to some pals at work today, and almost everyone thought it was a good idea. All except one fella who turned 40 when the playstation came out. It seems like everyone aged up to 50+ likes the idea. I expect you could include more modern plarforms as you go, to whet the appetites of the next generation?
  Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 22:11   #51
blowfealt
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Total Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I mentioned this idea to some pals at work today, and almost everyone thought it was a good idea
That is exactly the costly information that my market research company came up with. I feel like I have had my leg lifted, BIG TIME.
  Reply With Quote
28-10-2015, 23:31   #52
psynuk
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Total Posts: 962
I think it's a great idea.
I'm of the vintage that remembers the boom and decline of the arcade. VR machines in crystal peaks and MHall and I've since taken/dragged my son into arcades all round the country over the last few years..
only to find the games are gone from nearly all arcades or there's laods of 2p and bandit or there's just a few shooting games at a 1 a credit.

Hardly any of today's teenagers and children will know what sega's outrun or afterburner was like so there's the potential market of uninitiated alongside nostalgia seekers.

but the crucial factor will be where are you going to site it & how much will it cost? because I'm not sticking quid coins into doubledragon like I used to do with ten pence pieces...

http://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/visitus
The arcade club is in a backstreet in bury and seems to be the obsession of someone that's been turned to business.
can you do that in Sheffield, would the rents allow it?
  Reply With Quote
29-10-2015, 01:30   #53
sheff71
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: S9
Total Posts: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by psynuk View Post
I think it's a great idea.
I'm of the vintage that remembers the boom and decline of the arcade. VR machines in crystal peaks and MHall and I've since taken/dragged my son into arcades all round the country over the last few years..
only to find the games are gone from nearly all arcades or there's laods of 2p and bandit or there's just a few shooting games at a 1 a credit.

Hardly any of today's teenagers and children will know what sega's outrun or afterburner was like so there's the potential market of uninitiated alongside nostalgia seekers.

but the crucial factor will be where are you going to site it & how much will it cost? because I'm not sticking quid coins into doubledragon like I used to do with ten pence pieces...

http://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/visitus
The arcade club is in a backstreet in bury and seems to be the obsession of someone that's been turned to business.
can you do that in Sheffield, would the rents allow it?
In the summer in the Skeggy area, there were plenty of these type of machines around, and many of them seemed pretty popular - no doubt it helps being by the seaside and picking up passing holidaymakers, but still a fair amount of interest. I suppose there are no units in the new moor market that would be a decent size or price for this, as you would get plenty of passing trade there...
_______
UTB
  Reply With Quote
29-10-2015, 09:21   #54
Dannyno
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Total Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bloke View Post
Is it really what you had in mind though?

As a bit of a reality check...

Over 200 machines at 1,000 cost per machine (from an earlier post) is an outlay of 200,000 just for machines!

And they're charging 10 for adults, so you need 20,000 customers before you've paid for the machines (assuming they're not leased).

And then there's site rent, electricity bills, business rates, machine maintenance, employees wages etc...

The one in Bury is probably run by some large gaming organisation who have pots of money to invest, and not by a one man band.
It's part of "Arcade Connection Ltd", set up by the couple from Bury, so not part of a bigger empire.

http://www.arcadeconnection.co.uk/

But the company was only set up last year, so there are no proper accounts yet to assess how well they are actually doing.
  Reply With Quote
29-10-2015, 21:10   #55
psynuk
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Total Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff71 View Post
In the summer in the Skeggy area, there were plenty of these type of machines around, .
not really, I've been all over skeggy/uk and there's hardly any arcade games in the arcades, 2p machines,bandits, a load of shooting and driving but the proper game cabinets are nearly all gone.

It's the reason that the business viability question is a serious one, the arcade game business model has gone kaput. Trying to revive it is probably futile in its original format- bar a few niche examples, the rarity is the usp now..

I think I'd be a repeat customer to an arcade if it could offer incredible online gaming speeds for console/pc gaming on rigs and screens I cant afford
  Reply With Quote
01-11-2015, 23:32   #56
bigsteve
Registered User
bigsteve's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 777
Well I've been there today and it's bloody brill, nice guy who runs it, snack bar, it's clean and nice in there and was full but not so full you couldn't get on the machines.
Good luck to him it's a great idea.
_______
Arrow Removals and Storage 08001979397 for all your removal needs !
A real company trading 20yrs with the same name and own storage warehouse!
Which 'Trusted Traders'
www.arrowremovals.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
02-11-2015, 00:11   #57
*_ash_*
formerly djash1000
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Total Posts: 16,898
I liked that Look North clip. That place would be worth a visit if passing in the nearby area (in a similar way to a museum).

I think though that his was a rare place but having a look at his accounts would help things! I don't think in Sheffield it would work as adult only and as a lone arcade, and likely only would be more like a tourist attraction/ or local thing as a novelty.

I think it would need to be integrated into something else, then decide whether your market is everybody or just adults. Amusement arcades have always attracted tossers, and I think would more so today if young people had access. It's a shame, because I think young kids would like these games.

There are a lot of coffee shop type places and sheesha type places popping up in Sheffield in recent years, I think it might integrate well with something like that.
_______
13640 170115 0237(p) 13772 140315 2137(f) 13812 070415 2359(f) 16515 080717 1233 (done); 260318 - this time
  Reply With Quote
02-11-2015, 00:29   #58
999tigger
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Total Posts: 7,972
Good luck but I dont think it would work. Sheffield has never been a big arcade place, so unless it was something specual I dont think it would generate sufficient money.

Perhapsalso go and look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-32067472 the National Video Arcade in Nottigham.
  Reply With Quote
02-11-2015, 11:46   #59
sheff71
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: S9
Total Posts: 5,777
Would it be possible or practical as a mobile unit - e.g. on an old double decker bus or a lorry that was reworked to house a selection of games? Then you could tour with it around Sheffield and further afield, which could be useful to piggyback off other events and shows.
_______
UTB
  Reply With Quote
02-11-2015, 14:30   #60
*_ash_*
formerly djash1000
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Total Posts: 16,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff71 View Post
Would it be possible or practical as a mobile unit - e.g. on an old double decker bus or a lorry that was reworked to house a selection of games? Then you could tour with it around Sheffield and further afield, which could be useful to piggyback off other events and shows.
I think they'd be too heavy for a bus.
_______
13640 170115 0237(p) 13772 140315 2137(f) 13812 070415 2359(f) 16515 080717 1233 (done); 260318 - this time
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:15.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018