Would a classic video game arcade be viable in Sheffield?

Well it can't be that bad an idea as the guy has just moved to bigger premises to allow for more games and people.

I'm off there Sunday with a car full to play too

30 machines

Average 10 minutes per game ... but if you are attracting hard-core, they could be holding your machine for a a lot longer.

180 units per hour.

What is your fee? £2 per game?

£360 per hour.

Opening hours with full occupancy?

5 hours

£1800 per day

City centre rent?

Close?

Edited by cgksheff

The one in Bury is probably run by some large gaming organisation who have pots of money to invest, and not by a one man band.

It is actually run by one man with the help of some enthusiasts.

What other revenue streams does the one in Bury have other than the games themselves? Drinks? Snacks?

How much are the games there normally when it's not freeplay with an entrance fee?

It is actually run by one man with the help of some enthusiasts.

Really?

Well he appears to have done very well for himself then... :clap:

... but I bet he started out with just a few machines.

It'd be interesting to know more about him! :)

Thinking about it, the fact that you could pretty much play the games forever on one credit back then if you were good enough would be a major problem. There's a good reason why all the arcades introduced games where you could insert coins to top up energy etc in the late 80s and early 90s. That and fighting games where a new player could challenge the existing player at any time.

Sounds like it might be a good idea for you to visit that Bury arcade and get a feel of the place, and see if you think you could match it in Sheffield - the guy may even be able to give you some sound advice (I doubt he'd see a Sheffield version as a threat - maybe he might even do a deal with you, to rotate machines between his and your location, if you get on well?).

Nowt to lose by trying anyway. :)

I think you would make your money on coffee and e-cig supplies. People like their stimulants when playing games. I remember arcade cabinets with built in ashtrays (or was that a fruit machine?).

Providing you have:

Defender, Zaxxon, Battlezone, Tempest, Spy Hunter, Asteroids, Q-Bert, Galaxian, Space Invaders and maybe Streetfighter,

I'll definitely be there.

Other people will have longer lists!

Really?

Well he appears to have done very well for himself then... :clap:

... but I bet he started out with just a few machines.

It'd be interesting to know more about him! :)

Check out

In short, yet it would work.

Idea to go alongside it: Especially if combined with an Asian style Internet cafe. Not that the style has to be Asian, but the function does: Providing the best/latest PC hardware to play certain online games for a set amount per hour/day. With a bit of tweaking it can also become an eSports venue for live broadcast. Marrying the most current with the classic is a brilliant approach to it in my opinion.