Worms in cod .. !

Following a random conversation at work I felt I needed to google the above claim made by a colleague..........

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/almost-every-kind-of-wild-fish-is-infected-with-worms

http://www.cooksinfo.com/fish-worms

Haddock every time for me now and sushi is totally out of the question :gag:

Edited by Daven

Following a random conversation at work I felt I needed to google the above claim made by a colleague..........

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/almost-every-kind-of-wild-fish-is-infected-with-worms

http://www.cooksinfo.com/fish-worms

Haddock every time for me now and sushi is totally out of the question :gag:

Apparently worms can be found in haddock too. :gag:

:gag: - looks like I'll be off the fish then.... for a while anyway !

Sausage and chips from the chippy tomorrow for me ! ;)

---------- Post added 25-08-2016 at 16:50 ----------

This might be of some use but I don't think I would tackle removing worms from my fish - it would just go in the bin !

Just extra protein. How common is fish-worm infection? Hardly at all.

I'm sure you're right but I just couldn't..............:gag:

I know that any worms in well cooked fish are dead but I don't really fancy ingesting their corpses.

Edited by Daven

As a fish and chip shop owner I have seen my fair share of "worms". It must be 6 months since I last seen one. When the fish was delivered fresh it was always infested in them! Now days I was told due to cleaner seas they are not as common. We do hold our fish to a bright light to check. They coil up and die to the fish been frozen at sea. You can spot then a mile off under the light contraption we use.

Tip, if you are in a supermarket and find the fresh fish counter smells, don't buy your fish from there. Fresh fish does not smell.

I blame all of this on that new-fangled 'sustainable line-caught' fishing that people are harping on about nowadays. Of course you'll find worms inside the fish … probably impaled on a hook too. A float if you're really unlucky.

I found one recently in fish & chips served at well-known local carvery. The type of fish was not specified on the menu but I suspect it was basa. Needless to say I did not finish my meal. It was the first time I have ever spotted this unwelcome extra ingredient in fish so I will keep a sharper lookout in future.

Edited by fatrajah

Guest sibon
:gag: - looks like I'll be off the fish then.... for a while anyway !

Sausage and chips from the chippy tomorrow for me ! ;)

Mmmm. Good swap.

Pigs testicles in place of cod worms.:D

I thought it was quite common. I thought fish and chip shops inspected the fish (especially cod because of its feeding habits) for the worms and dug them out with a knife before cooking. Somebody I know who works in a chippy says this is routine and they do their best to make sure the punters don't end up with them in their takeaways.