Martin McGuinness dies aged 66

The deliberate targeting of civilians.

Good point.

The adulation always seemed rather OTT to me though. However that is not the point of this thread.

It is diverting from the celebrations some are having.:partyhat:

As I don't believe in an afterlife, I can only be sad that a murderer and vicious thing has been spared any kind of justice because of our pursuit of peace.

I hope that his victims and their families will either understand or forgive us for this failure.

Mandela did the same as well - he was quite active in going after train bombs as I recall...

Pardon my ignorance. Bias in my education one suspects.

I'm aware that the ANC were guilty of such things. They were an organisational mess compared to the Provisionals. But I was not aware that Mandela was implicated.

Edit: A bit more research and you're quite right.

I suspect that we gave him more latitude because we judged his grievance with government more substantial.

Edited by unbeliever

November 1974, Birmingham. Bombs in two pubs killed 21 people who had no influence and probably not much interest in the Irish problems.

March 1993, Warrington. Bombs placed in 2 litter bins next to shops killed 2 children.

These actions will have been sanctioned by the IRA leaders.

Bigoted ?? Me ?? only against cowardly scum who kill innocent people.

McGuinness can hardly be called cowardly. He turned the IRA away from violence and was a key player in the peace talks. There must have been a number of people ready to assassinate him during that process

They could have had the armed struggle without him but it's doubtful they could have found peace and reconciliation without him.

McGuinness can hardly be called cowardly. He turned the IRA away from violence and was a key player in the peace talks. There must have been a number of people ready to assassinate him during that process

They could have had the armed struggle without him but it's doubtful they could have found peace and reconciliation without him.

We really can call him cowardly. Quite easily.

Targeting women and children for political purposes is the worst act of cowardice.

---------- Post added 21-03-2017 at 13:53 ----------

Just a reminder to the apologists:

McGuinness's nickname was "kneecaps". Guess why.

It's things like this that make me wish i believed in Hell.

The man was a cold blooded killer, a terrorist in his younger days, who later showed no genuine remorse for his actions. That is what makes him unforgivable.

yep! he plotted and conspired with his associates to blow innocent people up. this makes him a war criminal. say no more.