Martin McGuinness dies aged 66

Where did British soldiers sit around a table and decide who was going to be killed.

Or maybe they had their own knee capping squad.

Mcguiness only became a politician to escape prosecution.

Well there is the Miami Show Band massacre. But you could spend all night picking atrocities from all sides .

I just hope that the uncertainty following Brexit isn't used as an excuse by some opposed to the peace process to go back to the old ways

I wonder if the people who are saying his death shouldn't be celebrated are the same that took to social media with glee when Thatcher died?

Oh yes, and they will spout about hypocrisy but fail to see their own.

For every atrocity attributed to McGuinness and the IRA,you can quote similar perpetrated by the Protestant Loyalists,and the British Army .

Northern Ireland was a hell hole for 30 years and at least both sides finally came together to give some hope for the future.

There seems to have been more forgiveness and reconciliation shown by those involved than by some of those posting on here.

Her Majesty the Queen has today sent a personal note of condolence to McGuinness's widow. She lost her cousin as a result of IRA action.

---------- Post added 21-03-2017 at 19:12 ----------

yep! he plotted and conspired with his associates to blow innocent people up. this makes him a war criminal. say no more.

Like Winston Churchill.

Edited by Detetcive
Mountbatten was her cousin, not uncle. sorry

I dare say some may feel safe enough to tell their stories now.

Her Majesty the Queen has today sent a personal note of condolence to McGuinness's widow. She lost her uncle as a result of IRA action.

Like Winston Churchill.[/QUOTE]

My bold=

We put war criminals like Churchill on £5 notes and plenty of Britons see him as a Great War time leader but forget about the millions he starved in India.

Her Majesty the Queen has today sent a personal note of condolence to McGuinness's widow. She lost her uncle as a result of IRA action.

Like Winston Churchill.

Possibly this maybe the hardest thing for many people to understand - that those who have lost grievously, nevertheless resolve to move forward. Perhaps the alternative results in not being able to move forward with your life.

I don't think the situations are entirely analogous, but in South Africa, they had a 'Truth and Reconciliation Commission' after the brutal years of Apartheid. Many horror stories were heard, but in spite of those, some relatives of those murdered overcame their anger....Possibly because they'd lost so much, they didn't want to lose anymore.

---------- Post added 21-03-2017 at 19:58 ----------

For every atrocity attributed to McGuinness and the IRA,you can quote similar perpetrated by the Protestant Loyalists,and the British Army .

Northern Ireland was a hell hole for 30 years and at least both sides finally came together to give some hope for the future.

There seems to have been more forgiveness and reconciliation shown by those involved than by some of those posting on here.

Quite true.

after all the hard work getting the ni peace agreement to work brexit could ruin it.

after all the hard work getting the ni peace agreement to work brexit could ruin it.

Or it might result in a united Ireland.

---------- Post added 21-03-2017 at 20:23 ----------

...But say what you like about McGuinness.

He is dead, and the hatred being spouted by some may be a safety valve for them, and is better out than in I suppose. It just seems rather demeaning to me.

You should have been on site when Thatcher died. You could have posted your virtuous platitudes then. Kept this lot in some sort of order.?

Or it might result in a united Ireland.

---------- Post added 21-03-2017 at 20:23 ----------

You should have been on site when Thatcher died. You could have posted your virtuous platitudes then. Kept this lot in some sort of order.?

Bad was it? But I imagine she made more enemies than McGuiness did over her tenure.

we can't forget about MM as if he did n't exist. He will be in the history books as having made a contribution to settling the "Troubles" in northern Ireland. The Queen agreed to meet with him, to the surprise of most. And he met with British PMs to determine an end to the bombing and killings.

Yes I know he was there from the outset in the late 1960s and brought the IRA into maturity. But it appears that he had a change of heart and realized the IRA approach was a dead end. And I can accept that he played a necessary part in the cessation of killings.

Her Majesty the Queen sent a personal note of condolence to the widow of the former Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland. The condolence was out respect for the title Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland and not the terrorist.

Her Majesty the Queen sent a personal note of condolence to the widow of the former Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland. The condolence was out respect for the title Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland and not the terrorist.

Does the Queen usually send personal notes of condolence to widows of Deputy First Ministers of Northern Ireland?