Is there a mouse epidemic?!

My mates and I live in S2 and recently became aware of a mouse problem in our house. Our landlord's been on to the council for advice, and they told him there's a mouse epidemic in Sheffield at the moment! Apparently all the recent buiding works have disturbed the mice's natural homes, so they're encroaching into houses.

Is anyone else experiencing problems like this? Have you noticed more mice about than normal?

My mates and I live in S2 and recently became aware of a mouse problem in our house. Our landlord's been on to the council for advice, and they told him there's a mouse epidemic in Sheffield at the moment! Apparently all the recent buiding works have disturbed the mice's natural homes, so they're encroaching into houses.

Is anyone else experiencing problems like this? Have you noticed more mice about than normal?

Caught 14 over 4 nights in/around my shed, fortnight-or-so ago, Dronfield - so maybe not just a Sheffield problem!

Actually after a rather large rat that I've seen prowling around - big, brave, unconcerned that I'm watching, and if it could it would be raising two fingers at me - but it's obviously a bit more clued-up about traps than the little 'uns...

If you've got mice then you're best off attacking the problem at its source - ie the holes into your house and open food sources. Believe me - it's far more effective than the alternatives.

Usual suspects are the washing machine pipes (to the outside) and vents which often lead under the kitchen kickboards. If you get some expanding foam and seal them then they can't get in. Also be sure to remove absolutely all food from kitchen worksurfaces and not to leave dirty plates around. If they have no food - they'll leave the same way they got in, then of course seal it up. Mice & their bellies are easily led.

Putting poison down is not only cruel but causing a lovely pile of stinking rotting mice and it's grim - not really any fun in your kitchen (usually under the kickboards). Plus the mice will just learn to avoid the poison and breed to replace those lost. Even if all the mice eat the poison, die rot, in a years time they'll be back because they can still get in.

Trapping them again will just trap the ones that venture near the food, you'll be facing the same problem again and again unless you seal the holes that they are using to get into your house and remove whatever they are eating. Amazingly simple and effective. Hungry homeless mice go elsewhere :)

Caught 14 over 4 nights in/around my shed, fortnight-or-so ago, Dronfield - so maybe not just a Sheffield problem!

Actually after a rather large rat that I've seen prowling around - big, brave, unconcerned that I'm watching, and if it could it would be raising two fingers at me - but it's obviously a bit more clued-up about traps than the little 'uns...

Let this big rat take care of the mouse problem for you.....and then get a cat to get rid of the rat......oh no....sounding like a very old song about an old woman swallowing a fly. :D

My cats will be pleased! ;) One of them had taken up position by the cooker again the other day, which was where she found her very first 'kill', but I think she has scared the critters off for good...

My neighbours cats have caught loads during the last few months.

Let this big rat take care of the mouse problem for you.....and then get a cat to get rid of the rat......oh no....sounding like a very old song about an old woman swallowing a fly. :D

Ah - good ol' Burl Ives, eh?!

My other "trap" is a BSA Meteor .22....but the bugger's obviously clued-up about these too, 'cos he keeps ducking!

Could it be something to do with the recent flood? Most rodents live below ground. I bet a fair few rats drowned trying to scurrying out of the sewers/drains. There's still cholera bacteria down in them Victorian drains. Hope it stays there.

I caught a mouse last night! I saw something run across the floor out of the corner of my eye, thought it was a big spider until I investigated!

It went off behind the washing machine, but can't have been able to get out because it came straight back out into the trap I put down :hihi: I released it into the nearby woods, it's probably in someone else's house now :D

They invaded the kitchen cupboards in the last house, I caught 7 all together. :suspect: