Memories of the Past

I went to the dental clinic at Manor top when I was young to have a tooth out. Must have been very young.

I caught a glimpse of a pure white tablecloth on a table set for dinner with gleaming knives and forks (which were alien to me then) and I thought they were going to eat me. So ran round and round the clinic they never caught me and my mom brought me home still with toothache.

I too regually had nits. No-one else in the family got them and my mom used to comb them out, on to a newspaper. Think it was the boy I sat next to at school who always had his head shaved except for a tuft at the front. Suppose they must have collected there.

Your family must have been very kind to take in evacuees. The ones I came across were very tough, so fierce I was fightened to death of them. I suppose underneath they were frightened themselves.

Hazel

:shakes: good grief,all this talk about bed bugs and head lice is costing me a fortune in shower gel,by the way you scruffy lot how did you get rid of them???

was this the only ailments you suffered with,i was led to belive that in the forties and fifties there were other nasties knocking about :gag:

Originally posted by fridgeman

:shakes: good grief,all this talk about bed bugs and head lice is costing me a fortune in shower gel,by the way you scruffy lot how did you get rid of them???

was this the only ailments you suffered with,i was led to belive that in the forties and fifties there were other nasties knocking about :gag:

Hi Fridgeman

We used to spread some kind of powder to kill the bugs ,we also used to run a lighted candle round the iron bedstead, and of course a few incendiary bombs helped.and yes there were other nasties around in the forties and fifties, they were called the next generation.

Sorry, didn't mean it.

A few more memories

On cleanliness...my mother managed without a hoover until about 1954. Before that it was a daily routine of sprinkling damp tea-leaves on the carpets and a good sweep with a hard broom. Once a week all the furniture was shifted so she could sweep under the settee and armchairs etc. (and anything less than a tanner I found was mine !). Every so often the carpet was lifted and turned 90° "to spread the wear"...what a performance that was !! Small rugs and mats went out on the washing line and had seven bells (and probably some wildlife) knocked out of them

On entertainment..who remembers the weekly comic "Radio Fun" ? I was lucky enough to see a few of the characters live at the Empire. Two acts I particularly remember were Jimmy Jewel and Ben Warris, and Laurel and Hardy. Can't remember what year we saw L&H...probably about 1950 but I think it was during their last tour of the UK. Pretty sure we saw 'Old Mother Riley' too but that might have been in pantomime.

I also remember one Saturday morning walking back from town with my Dad, George Formby stopped us on Pinstone Street to ask the way to the station, and I got a scutch round the ear from my Dad for being so cheeky as to ask him for his autograph. :mad:

We all loved listening to the radio, some programmes I remember were "In town tonight" on a Saturday I think, "Much Binding in the Marsh" "Family Favourites" and "Down your way".

Someone already mentioned Dick Barton but there was also a really scary science fiction serial I can't remember the name of, - the intro music was 'Mars' from the Planets Suite.

Not forgetting Billy Cotton and his band who had a regular programme for years.

yes there were other nasties around in the forties and fifties, they were called the next generation.

Sorry, didn't mean it. [/b]

:clap: do you mean the people from the sixties, i thought they were the lovin generation, you know,woodstock,brighton that sort of thing.

Originally posted by Greybeard

A few more memories

s.

Greybeard, I really enjoyed reading your letter. I can relate to all that. Somehow I don't think we have to justify being very high on the list for cleanliness. Maybe we were cleaner then than some people are now. With all this very modern cleaning gear folk should be squeaky clean but not so. How many nowadays pull all the furniture out on a weekly basis and search for dirt eh!

Just thinking, when I see some of the third world countrys on t.v. washing their clothes in the rivers there. welll I always think their clothes look spotless they have nothing a t all not even a home.

Soap powder forget that one..

I think the training we had was good it sticks with you our parents did well

Regards Vera

early 50s

I remember listening to the radio on Sunday dinnertime.

Jean Metcalfe and her husband ? BIll did a request programe for the troops in germany ? Forces Favourites.

The smell of the meat cooking in the oven, Yorkshire pudding spitting in the pan Jimmy Young singing unchained melody, The sheer excitment of just being young.

After that came BIlly Cotton's band playing his introduction tune "Somebody stole my gal "

Then LIfe with the Lyons, Ben Lyon and his his dizzy wife and children. What was her name?

My brother was in Germany in the army at the time and my Mom sent a request in. to the Metcalfes Unfortunately he was in the glasshouse at the time and was marched out to listen to Jim Reeves singing something like "And I love you so" he said he never lived it down!

Not sure whether its all remembered right, but someone will know

Hazel

'Hey you down there with the glasses!"

(part of Billy Cotton's show)

Jean Metcalfe was married to Cliff Michelmore - still is?

Same memories - even now if I hear just a few bars of 'With a Song in My Heart' I am whisked back to playing in the street with my mates. All the kitchen windows steamed up from the cabbage boiling for about two hrs.

All the men stood waiting outside the pub for the doors to open and without exception everyone of them in a suit 'cus it a Sunday.

After lunch all the streets quiet (or so it seemed), people really did look upon Sunday as a 'special' day and rested, maybe because they all worked so bloody hard - the six day working week was not uncommon back in the fifties.

Other radio shows - Jimmy Clitheroe

...and then we got our first TV and 'Sunday Night at the London Palladium' - but that could be a thread all on its own!!

HI HAZEL.

Loved your memories of youth,lt had me crying into my semolina pudding(how l hated that stuff at school meals,tasted like wallpaper paste) As for the roast beef and Yorkshire well l still get them,but that sheer excitement of just being young, as you so aptly put it,is but a memory,hence me crying in my pudd.

The wife in life with the lyons was Bebe Danials, carn't remember the kids

Also remember the Itma show and Flanagan and Allen(underneath the arches)

Keep those memories coming in folks, there all l have left,(Tut-tut too bad, never mind,)

Originally posted by KIWI

HI HAZEL.

Loved your memories of youth,lt had me crying into my semolina pudding(how l hated that stuff at school meals,tasted like wallpaper paste) As for the roast beef and Yorkshire well l still get them,but that sheer excitement of just being young, as you so aptly put it,is but a memory,hence me crying in my pudd.

The wife in life with the lyons was Bebe Danials, carn't remember the kids

Also remember the Itma show and Flanagan and Allen(underneath the arches)

Keep those memories coming in folks, there all l have left,(Tut-tut too bad, never mind,)

Ben Lyon, Bebe Daniels, Barbara Lyon, Richard Lyon..You can find lots more about them with Google..Did you know that "Richard Lyon" was adopted by Ben and Bebe?...Also do you remember Wilfred Pickles..I met him when I was 7 years old at the E.S.C. Sports Ground at Shiregreen in 1946.

Originally posted by Timbuck

Ben Lyon, Bebe Daniels, Barbara Lyon, Richard Lyon..You can find lots more about them with Google..Did you know that "Richard Lyon" was adopted by Ben and Bebe?...Also do you remember Wilfred Pickles..I met him when I was 7 years old at the E.S.C. Sports Ground at Shiregreen in 1946.

yea! Wilfred Pickles and Mabel. Remind me, what was their pet saying??????