Memories of the Past

Guest poppins

Does Sheff still have that indoor fish market ? everyone use to go get a little dish of cockels, i think thats what they were, trying to think of another name for them, they were soaked in vineger, dish was never washed, just passed on to the next person, the fish mongers had odd things hanging from hooks, my friend tried to brag one day that she knew what one thing was, wrong ! the fish man said, it's left over christmas decoration from last year.

The fish was nicely displayed out in the open on ice, it actualy smelt like fresh fish, even as i child i would look forward to going with my mom to pick out fish.

Originally posted by owdlad

Vera, you forgot to mention the donkey stones ( where did that name come from) and the man who came around to sharpen knives, with the grindstone mounted on his bike.

Hi Owdlad, Youve got me there? Don't know where the name donkey came into it. I know it was grey when you put it on and when it dried it was as white as snow. Yep! the old grinder used to come round and we used to ask him if he had any old penknives for us. Hey what about the chimney sweeper then.We used to stand for ages waiting for the brush to appear from the chimney top Ha!ha!

Cheers vera

poppins/hazel

brilliant both brilliant :clap: :clap:

never tire of listening to golden oldies.

yes the fish market is still there selling cockles,mussels,whelks,prawns and crabs from whitby.

you don't see many stalls like that now only in supermarkets

Originally posted by vhopkinson

Hi Owdlad, Youve got me there? Don't know where the name donkey came into it. I know it was grey when you put it on and when it dried it was as white as snow. Yep! the old grinder used to come round and we used to ask him if he had any old penknives for us. Hey what about the chimney sweeper then.We used to stand for ages waiting for the brush to appear from the chimney top Ha!ha!

Cheers vera

Vera, the other thing you forgot was the most important bit, that everone heard just after the step had been done

................DON'T YOU STAND ON MY STEP!

Yes I can remember having my Moms wool coat on the bed. and I can remember impetigo and ringworm. In those days they shaved the childs head and covered it in blue dye ( I think gentian violet) No paedophile was interested then!!

I remember one poor, literally poor, girl who had had her head shaved and blued, passed her scholarship to Notre Dame. As she wore a balaclava she lasted a fortnight ( don't fall about laughing Kirky) it was tragic and she was a very clever girl.

Hazel

What wonderful memories!of those happy days gone by,my Grandmother,a widow,lived on Birley St just up from Harvest Lane,and I used to go to the beer-off across the road to fetch her 3 gills(old Sheffield measure)of Nut-Brown,pulled by the shopkeeper from the hand pumps on the counter,and on the way back I always had a good swig from the jug,but then the law changed and the beer had to be fetched in screw top bottles,and the shopkeeper had to put a paper seal across the cork.I was 9 years old when the war broke out and we had a Anderson Shelter in the back garden,and my Father being an electrician fixed it up with lighting and power points,somrthing very modern in those days,an electric kettle!

Does anyone remember the "Holidays at Home"and the entertainment in local parks,in Weston Park it was a penny to go into the enclosure by the bandstand and sit on the grass,or 3d to have a chair,those very uncomfortable folding wooden bum-nummers,and if Dad had had a good week an ice cream,war time variety of course!

Guest poppins

Fondest memories where at my grandmas house on providence rd ,walkley she always had scales on her cellar head to weigh her currants and rasins, we loved to see her cut her home made bread, she'd hold it against her chest to cut big wedges, my lazy grandad would grab the slices from her before she finished, he couldn't wait for his cuppa to cool down, he'd pour some tea in his saucer and drink out of that, he'd spend all day sitting on the stone wall waiting to see people getting off the tram, I forgot the name of the street that was the terminus, full of little shops, walkley people would do all their shopping along that street, everyone could leave their babies in their prams without worry, prams were realy big them, they had strorage room under the baby to put your shopping, i think there was a big library on the end of that street.

Hazel, did you get the lucky bags when your dad got up at 4'oclock in the morning to go to work or when he came home at night.

Originally posted by hazel

My mom used to blacklead the stove, We lived in a council house which had a Yorkshire Range and she polished it with blacklead out of a tin called (? zebra)

Hi Hazel

Cleaning the Yorkshire range on a Sunday morning was my job, - I think from about 1948 when I was eight until about 1952 when it was replacd with a gas cooker. My grandfather made me a special little tool to get into and rake out the flue-ways that ran behind the oven and boiler. I think that black-lead polish was called 'Zebo'...still available by the look of this site...

http://www.starchsupplies.co.uk/index.php?cPath=22

It was an early start for me on Sunday, - as well as cleaning the range and lighting the fire (often with the help of the shovel and newspaper !) I also had the job of cleaning everyone's shoes ready for church. The living room fire also had to be cleaned and lit in the winter.

I still find it amazing that my mother used to cook Sunday lunch for five of us (my grandad was a widower and always came to our house for his dinner on Sundays) on that Yorkshire range plus a little gas ring, - and the Yorlshire pud was always perfect.

Another Sunday job I had was to go to the beer-off for two pint bottles of Sam Smith's Pale Ale and a small bottle of cider for my mother. Grandad always used to pay for this and give me tuppence for fetching it.

A memory from somewhat earlier, - probably during the war, was the daily dose of cod-liver oil and malt. I quite liked that as it tasted a bit like toffee. And I remember the concentrated orange juice too.

Other 1940s memories are of being sent to the Co-Op for the weekly rations of sugar, butter and cheese etc. The sugar came in dark-blue paper bags and the butter (or perhaps it was margerine ?) was sometimes carved off a big block into a wooden frame and then tipped out onto grease-proof paper and wrapped.

Originally posted by poppins

i think there was a big library on the end of that street.

Would that be South Road ?...the library is still there and so are many of the little shops.

Guest poppins

Greybeard

Yes, south road it was, my grandma just use to say, I'm going up top ! those little shops were great.

What interesting reading off you gals.

I am into local history.