Memories of the Past

Hazel...

The sand dancers would be "Wilson, Keppell and Betty".

PT

Guest poppins

What was the name of the cinema near coles, might be still there.

I waorked there in my teens as an usher, i had to sell the ice creams in the intermission, stand at the front with the tray, when the lights went up in intermission every one jumped out of their seats, i thought they were going to attack me, i got so paniki trying to give change back i started just giving the ice creams away just to get rid of them, if they asked for change i just gave them anything to get rid of them, neadless to say that was my last night there, anyhow the uniforms were so itchy they could keep the job.

Poppins

Do you mean the Regent , I think later called Gaument.

Your career in the icecream business sounds so funny now but I don't expect it was then, I can just imagine the chaos.

I once sold icecreams with a tray in the intervals at a BIngo place at Handsworth. Not an easy job. I could never get the change right. I too didn't last very long. The first night I was there I was put on the stage flicking lights on when the numbers were called. When someone called out for a line, I thought we had finished and cleared all the lights. Felt such a fool.

Thanks PT, Yes thats who I meant,

hazel

i thought you were going to leave this forum ?americans are betta than britts (your last post ,was shocking 4 a firefighters wife)

Guest poppins

ianl

Please show me where i said exactly those words,

the americans are better than the brits ?

i still think u were wrong about brits my son is in b/watch over there get pride 4 uk not usa u were born here

Thanks to you all for such great reading. Look forward to this site but it is addictive, get nothing else done. Great stuff Harlan glad you remembered those 2 toffs the brothers Lol

Regards Vera.

Guest poppins
Originally posted by ianl

i still think u were wrong about brits my son is in b/watch over there get pride 4 uk not usa u were born here

ianl

sorry don't know what you'r talking about, honest , whats a b/watch , still want to see the quote you'r talking about

Spent the last hour reading through all the letters in this thread

and enjoyed every single one. they brought back many memories some of which were long forgotten. So thought l would throw in another couple of memories. remember the bed bugs Ha! we had to sprinkle some type of powder around the old iron bedstead every night but this didn't seem to upset them too much as you still woke up in the morning with bites and didn't they itch. nothing seemed to get rid of them. lt was concidered that only the unclean had bugs yet our house was always clean and you would often see some of the La-De- Da folks hiding their bites. Thats not such a good memory.

Anyone re member Dick Barton SPECIAL AGENT??(Radio)

Desperate Dan (Beano or Dandy)

Hi Kiwi

I nearly put Dick Barton's tune in favorites in the entertainment section. yes I remember the thrill of listening to Dick Barton special agent With his pals ? Jock and Snowy. We used to listen with our heads close to the radio so we would not miss much. Did you also listen to radio Luxenberg 1/4 to 7 for 15 mins. only pop we used to get. I remember Frankie Lane.

My dad said the Bugs lived in the walls of old houses and you could never get rid, under the wallpaper. I suppose hey came out at night to feed. We were lucky in that we had a new council house so missed that experience.

i worked at Darnall Day Nursery as my first job and spme children there used to come to nursery and have their cllothes hung in a bag in the hall to keep the bugs at bay. We kitted them out in nursey clothes.

hapy days

hazel

Guest poppins

Hi Hazel

We use to listen to radio lux for the top ten, for some reason we kept the radio on the floor, use to lay on the floor to listen.

my first job was at WH Smiths, it was a lovely old building, about three floors high, on the corner of a street i don't remember the name, was a bus terminal st, on a bridge i think, WH Smiths back then wa s just wholesale, we use to get orders out for small shops.

Bugs in the wallpaper, never had that, but mom had a lot of woodworm in some old furniture she had to get rid of, now they can cure woodworm, imagine all the lovely furniture that had to be thrown out before they knew how to treat it.

we all had these great big sideboards, that was the main piece in the house, every thing went in there, mom had brass candle sticks on ours for years with lace doilies.

nice memories

Hi Girls, Just have to get this in before a storm hits here. Great reading. Yep Kiwi! remember those bed bugs ok. We were supposed to be spotless clean too, guess it was the old building. What about this one though.

While the war was on we had 3 evacuees from London twin girls and a boy. Well they came and they were loaded in head lice. Yep We all got them. Mum made us sleep with snoods on our heads you would think this would hatch them eh!!!

We all used to go the clinic Sat morning to have our heads cleaned and this rotten stuff poured on us. terrible. Prince Edwards school clinic which was the dental clinic too, they used to do the inoculations as well our arms used to come up like balloons. Not bad enuff the lad had impatigo I think it was and had to be painted with this blue paint, must have been the talk of the school. My mum used to serve school dinners as well she did it for years. Imagine this wouldn't go down to well in this day and age. Anyone add to this

Cheers Vera