Memories of the Past

One of my earliest memories is of the kitchen in the house where I was born. It had a huge old black range that was not only for cooking but also supplied hot water. Our cat was forever climbing up above it and disappearing up the chimney, luckily 'mother puss' was black as she certainly came out black.

However in the middle of the kitchen was a large kitchen table with a hinged top, when the top was lifted there was our bath which had to be filled by bucket. At one end of the bath was a mangle that again was hinged to go into the bath when you put the table top back down. I've never heard of these in Sheffield was this a Warwickshire thing or were we just posh?

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

One of my earliest memories is of the kitchen in the house where I was born. It had a huge old black range that was not only for cooking but also supplied hot water. Our cat was forever climbing up above it and disappearing up the chimney, luckily 'mother puss' was black as she certainly came out black.

However in the middle of the kitchen was a large kitchen table with a hinged top, when the top was lifted there was our bath which had to be filled by bucket. At one end of the bath was a mangle that again was hinged to go into the bath when you put the table top back down. I've never heard of these in Sheffield was this a Warwickshire thing or were we just posh?

re the bath that was "hidden" in the kitchen..

No, it was not a Warwickshire thing... my great-aunt's house, at Shiregreen (bog-standard council house) had the bath in the kitchen, and it had a sort of worktop thing that went over it, a bit like the covers that went over twin-tub washing machines.

I don't remember the mangle being hidden in the bath, but i remeber the huge ones that "lived" outside, as they were too heavy to move indoors.

I also remember the electric mangle, that came with my mother's single-tub washing machine, an "English Electric" brand. I remembe r the "door" on the side of the machine, where the mangle was stored.

i also remember being a small child of about 2/3 yrs old, and my mother drilling me in the way to push the mangle's roller-release lever "in case" she ever got her hand trapped in the rollers.

(yes she was a bit paranoid about things like that, at times... she drilled me, in how to get the latch, on the front-door undone if she ever passed out and someone had to come to the house, and how to turn off the electricity if she got a "zap" lol)

PT

I also remember the electric mangle, that came with my mother's single-tub washing machine, an "English Electric" brand. I remembe r the "door" on the side of the machine, where the mangle was stored.

i also remember being a small child of about 2/3 yrs old, and my mother drilling me in the way to push the mangle's roller-release lever "in case" she ever got her hand trapped in the rollers.

(yes she was a bit paranoid about things like that, at times... she drilled me, in how to get the latch, on the front-door undone if she ever passed out and someone had to come to the house, and how to turn off the electricity if she got a "zap" lol)

PT [/b]

PT, we had a Hotpoint, and the bit about the the mangle brought it home to me, and it also went off if you put in the clothes too fast.

We can laugh now, but do you think giving us what we saw then as a very important job, was just our Mother's way of keeping us busy and out of mischief.

Originally posted by owdlad

Vera, another one to add to the list is the smell of fresh bread cooling on the stone window sill, and no one dare to steal it.......but waiting until it was just cool enough to have lashings of dripping spread over it. happy days indeed.

Hi Owdlad, Yep I can smell the breadcakes now. Yum! We used to get our bums smacked for lifting the cloth off the panshion whilst it was sat in front of the fire waiting to rise. Think it was a panshion . That pork dripping was good specially the last bit with all the jelly there.

Vera

Speaking of mangles and old stuff, these are on display along with yorkshire ranges at the " Castle museum" at york.

It is well worth a visit, there are loads of individual rooms all set out in different periods of history including an old sweet shop.

it is fairly in- expensive to enter as well.

Originally posted by saxon76tr

What interesting reading off you gals.

I am into local history, have a quick scan at what i am trying to achieve. http://www.members.aol.com/syp99/index.html

............................................................................................

Just saying thank you for such interesting reading. It was good to read all about the village. I think you had some good reliable memorabillia from the family too which leads to a good down to earth story

Regards Vera

Originally posted by saxon76tr

Speaking of mangles and old stuff, these are on display along with yorkshire ranges at the " Castle museum" at york.

It is well worth a visit, there are loads of individual rooms all set out in different periods of history including an old sweet shop.

it is fairly in- expensive to enter as well.

There's a couple of museums up here in the North East of England with simular period rooms and little old villages with shops selling stuff from the Victorian times...also an old tramway and railway and loads of other stuff..One is at Preston Park Nr Stockton on Tees, and the other is at Beamish Park in Co Durham..Both well worth a visit.

Hi everyone.

Just got back from the Yorkshire Dales and have read yuor delicious evocative posts.

The people I visited have an aga but it's no more efficient than mine and your moms Yorkshire Range ( Apart from the central heating part of it thats a bonus)

Maxwell, the luckybag man lived about 4 houses from us and I suppose my mom used to buy them. Think they were 1 old penny. He used to sell them at the door and he was also the Knocker upper. Not sure whether u were joking tho, easily fooled me.!

Seems as if ww11 has broke out again on some of the other threads. Seems such a shame.

hazel

we had a cast iron fire place in moms room and when it was really cold dad would light it and we would all sleep in there..remember them bieng taken out when the clean air act came in force....whish i had a load of them now they are very costly,last time i saw a yorkshire range was in the .RIVELIN HOTEL a few years back,remember having the oven plate wrapped up in a sheet to warm the bed on a cold winter night..

I can still feel the warmth and comfort of the oven plate at night and the cold hardness of the same oven plate in the morning.

hazel

does any 1 rember the pikelett man selling his wares from a push bike lol!!!

I remember him walking round with a basket coverd with a white cloth and ringing a bell like a school bell. Can't remember his bike tho

hazel