Taking A levels... I can't get to the exam!

Im taking my A levels at the moment and have one tomorrow. However, i live in Sheffield; my college is in Rotherham, the route i have to take is via Ulley, where the road is closed due to the danger from the dam. Is anyone else having trouble with their exams due to the flooding??

Contact the college to check what arrangements they have put in place for students taking exams- I know in Sheffield, every effort is being made to ensure exams go ahead, but its possible some of the locations may be switched.

I'm sure that there will be arrangements made for you if you call them and tell them of your problems ahead of time (be it you taking at a later date, or at another centre). It's a different matter if you don't turn up and tell them of your problems later- so get on the phone.

Yeah i did! called them earlier and they said if i cant get in then dont! He didnt seen to understand why i was worrying about not being able to take my A levels and said i wouldnt be able to take it at another place :(

Try not to worry too much. You can only take the exam at the centre that you are registered with....so the chap you spoke to is right.

Have a look and see if there are any alternative routes that you could take. You may have to go a longer way around. If you are travelling on public transport, see if you can get a lift off a classmate, or even book a taxi. If taxi is the only way that you can do it, then get back in touch with college and see if they can book you one. Even if you have to pay, if they have an account with a taxi firm then you may save a couple of quid.

But, bottom line is, don't worry. If there are genuine, supportable reasons for not being able to make it, then the college will write to the exam board and you shouldn't lose out too much.

Hmmm, not a satisfactory response to your query, IMO and not at all helpful either. do as Flying Duck suggests but if you cant get there for a genuine reason tomorrow (ie all routes unpassable), you may have grounds for a special dispensation from the exam board -but fingers crossed you can get through OK - good luck.

I live near beighton and the only routes to rotherham are through Ulley, along the M1 and along the parkway, all of which are closed at the moment.

Will the exam board penalise me for not owning a speed boat?

Provided the college explain, the exam board will "take into consideration" the reasons why you couldn't attend, and won't penalise you. However the way that they will then work out your grade may mean that you could be slightly worse off than if you'd sat the exam and done okay. So, if you can get there, do. If you can't, make sure you phone the college again tomorrow 1st thing, and don't worry

There doesn't seem to be any actual reason why exam boards can't make alternative arrangements, such as authorising other centres to photocopy exam papers so that candidates who cannot get to their registered centre can do the exam somewhere else.

Clearly this would need a little bit of thought, for instance over identification and whatnot, but it seems short-sighted to make it an absolute impossibility.

Is there anyone you could stay with tonight in Rotherham?

A classmate maybe?

Would take you some time but surely there is a way from Beighton to Sheffield, Sheffield to Rotherham?

I have the same problem,

im at hillsborough college and its flooded so my exam was changed to the caste college which is in the town centre,

however.... i live at southey green and both entries via bus are blocked.

will it be any better tomorrow or is it still really bad at the wicker?

can anyone tell me how bad it is down there, as of today.

i rung the college and she said if i cant make it, ive got to speak to someone in the morning which has put me on tenterhooks because what if i cant get there, i live at southey green and i just cant see the water being moved or drained in time,

what do you guys think?

You could get via woodhouse to Beaver hill road up to rotherham road on Europa link road right onto sheepcote road ,round rounabout at meadowhall and down Bawtry roadto century way but don't know what it is like down on the last bit.