Who Remembers The Wapentake?

:wave: rosie ye I know its a bummer aint it.:huh:

Right peed off I am bout that but can't be helped. can't afford both nights one after tother so B'day bash comes first methinks.:hihi::cool:

If you wanna join me fer a few bevvies you be more than welcome, plan is Dove first, Sportsman then Nelly then back to Sportsman till 1ish sat 9th April okie dokie. might cu then hun later jackie :wave:

I was trying to find out the year the Wapentake opened? I reckon it was 1973- does anyone know???

I was trying to find out the year the Wapentake opened? I reckon it was 1973- does anyone know???

theimposter, It was well before 1973. I left the city in '71 and it had been open several years at that point. The Grosvenor House Hotel opened for the World Cup in '66 and so my guess would be that the Wapentake opened about the same time.

echo.

Yeah- I thought that but I have seen a picture on picture Sheffield from 1972 that shows all the units under the grosvenor 'to let'. I understand the management moved from the Buccaneer to here in 1973 as they were both owned by Trust House Forte.

Yeah- I thought that but I have seen a picture on picture Sheffield from 1972 that shows all the units under the grosvenor 'to let'. I understand the management moved from the Buccaneer to here in 1973 as they were both owned by Trust House Forte.

Yes the phot on 'Picture Sheffield' does show the units 'to let' but the sign for the 'Wap' is there on the Wellington Street side behind the 'mini' and I'm sure I went in there in at least 1967.

Yes the phot on 'Picture Sheffield' does show the units 'to let' but the sign for the 'Wap' is there on the Wellington Street side behind the 'mini' and I'm sure I went in there in at least 1967.

I too was in there in 1967 on a bachelor night out

hi all. i remember going down to the wap when all the gear was moved from the buccanear, sure that was 1973,went there as a regular every week till around 82.also nelson, and good memories of the albert .

hi all. i remember going down to the wap when all the gear was moved from the buccanear, sure that was 1973,went there as a regular every week till around 82.also nelson, and good memories of the albert .

We used to go in between 67 and 70 and onto the Nelson dive bar before going down to London Road.

Had some good times in the WAP , used to park my motorbike outside , then after a bit would walk around to the Nelson. I can remember coming back from holiday and going to the Nelson only to find it had been re-decorated ,it felt like someone had died. Also some good times in the Minerva that was quite near.

Edited by jad279
spelling

i remember the bike jim,we had some good nights back in 70's,heading down with john barstow,jeff teigh and shep !!!. just remember sticking to the floor with all those plastic glasses thrown about.

Fond memories of t' Wap. Used to drop on for a pint after work at Coles in 80's. I think I was only one in there with ears that could actually be seen. I swear most of those glasses had teeth marks on them. Met some great people though.

I'm starting to recall some weird stuff now.Had a mate who when it was his round he would drink some of his beer then carry four pints back to us ,carried his by biting on the plastic glass,and other three in his handa !!!!:o

---------- Post added 29-01-2017 at 10:57 ----------

Anyone recall Genesis John,i never saw him without a genesis t.shirt on,in the wop or anywhere else.:rolleyes: