The Clegg Shield: The oldest schools Trophy in the World

• 5 years later...

The Clegg Shield was won by City School. They beat Notre Dame on penalties in exciting game played at Bramall Lane on Wednesday May 30th 2012. It is played annually every by the U16 School teams of Sheffield. In 2014 it will celebrate its 125th year. It is the oldest footbal schools trophy in the world.

Does anyone know anything about this trophy which is one of the oldest in the world and played for every year.

i played in the clegg shield final for my school , hatfield house lane in the 1960s. we played the final on the old english steel ground on shiregreen lane, and a couple of hundred turned up to see us lose 3.2 to de la salle.:(

• 3 years later...

In the last month I have managed to get hold of 3 old original Victorian football photographs from the Penistone area, one of which was a team of schoolboys with a shield and a chalkboard at their feet with some writing on it.

After having the photo photo-shopped I have just been able to make out the writing on the chalkboard which says "Thurlstone ______ Clegg Shield Winners 1889-90".

On checking the website of the Sheffield Federation for Schools Sports it appears that the Sheffield Schools Athletics Association was born in 1889 and in that year Alderman W. S. Clegg presented the Clegg Shield for a football competition for the Elementary Schools of the City. Thurlstone were the first winners in 1890 and when they brought home the Shield the villagers and a brass band went to the station to meet the "conquering heroes". The captain was H. Depledge.

The photo I have is therefore of the first ever winners of the oldest Schools Trophy in the World !!!!

In the last month I have managed to get hold of 3 old original Victorian football photographs from the Penistone area, one of which was a team of schoolboys with a shield and a chalkboard at their feet with some writing on it.

After having the photo photo-shopped I have just been able to make out the writing on the chalkboard which says "Thurlstone ______ Clegg Shield Winners 1889-90".

On checking the website of the Sheffield Federation for Schools Sports it appears that the Sheffield Schools Athletics Association was born in 1889 and in that year Alderman W. S. Clegg presented the Clegg Shield for a football competition for the Elementary Schools of the City. Thurlstone were the first winners in 1890 and when they brought home the Shield the villagers and a brass band went to the station to meet the "conquering heroes". The captain was H. Depledge.

The photo I have is therefore of the first ever winners of the oldest Schools Trophy in the World !!!!

I wonder if it was named after this man.

Also London had a school sports federation before Sheffield.

Charles Clegg joined the Wednesday in 1867, starting a relationship that would last the rest of his life and eventually lead to his becoming the club's chairman. He also became president and chairman of the Football Association and known as the "Napoleon of Football".[6] Clegg played for England in the first-ever international match, against Scotland in November 1872, thereby becoming Wednesday's first international player. In 1876 they acquired Scot James Lang. Although he was not employed by the club, he was given a job by a member of the Sheffield Wednesday board that had no formal duties. He is now acknowledged as the first professional football player in England.[7]

Think I might have played in Clegg Shield but not sure. Can't find a list of winners anywhere online. Won the Yorkshire and Humberside schools cup though. Final was around '94 at Hillsbrough. All Saints (Sheffield) v Boston Spa? (Leeds). Gordon Strachan's son was in their side. Won 3-1 and got school a £2,000 cheque if memory serves me right. Be good to see pics or have more info on this if anyone out there has or knows owt?

The Clegg Shield was won by City School. They beat Notre Dame on penalties in exciting game played at Bramall Lane on Wednesday May 30th 2012. It is played annually every by the U16 School teams of Sheffield. In 2014 it will celebrate its 125th year. It is the oldest footbal schools trophy in the world.

my son played in that.great night and experience for the kids.