Is bottled water really better than tap?

How do you drink yours?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How do you drink yours?

• From bottles when I can.
    • I prefer tap water.
    • Either, theres no difference, water is water.

Guest Mod_Man

I don't think there is any real difference. Maybe some are re-branded tap water, I think some are fortified with minerals and maybe some are really full of good stuff. On the whole I don't think any are really better than tap water. Whenever I travel to a new place I always make a point of trying the tap water and comparing it to here. :loopy:

I think it depends where you live.

As a kid in Donny the tap water was brilliant because the underlying strata was chalk / limestone and the water almost had a fizzy taste. When we moved to Stocksbridge the water seemed lifeless and tasted of clay / peat.

Water in Sheffield seems half way in between. Generally, any tap water will taste Ok as long as the presure is high enough and you run the tap for long enough so you don't drink the water that's been stood in the pipes - pretty much the same as beer that hasn't been pulled for a while tends to be warm and taste sickly.

In France drink bottled Volvic (chilled from the fridge) - and wine and armangnac and calvados and pretty much any liquid.

Most of Sheffield has wonderful water, Mostof London has horribble water!

There was a program on the other year that showed that bottled water does not have the same restrictions as tap so some chemilas that are banned in tap water can be in bottled. Some of these in high amounts.

The law is strict only for bottled water labelled "natural mineral water".

By law, natural mineral water must originate from a subterranean source that is protected from every possible contamination. Only water that has been officially approved and tested for purity may be dubbed "natural mineral water". Before reaching this stage, it must pass about 200 separate analyses.

In order to retain the certified purity until the time of consumption, mineral water must furthermore be bottled directly at its place of origin – filled straight into the containers meant for the consumer.

taken from here.

water labelled anything else is not bound by these regulations. 'Spring' water doesn't have to be tested.

I can honestly say I prefer tap water - bottled water seems really flat and dull tasting to me. But it does have to be nice tap water - because sometimes it's horrible.

Nothing beats bottled sparkling water though. I like that - and it can be the cheapest brand for me....