Comments on the Stocksbridge Bypass

One of our regular customers, Pete Wild, an experienced biker and all round top bloke was killed on the Stocksbridge bypass at the weekend.

He started to overtake two cars and as he set off, the car behind decided to overtake the car in front, didn't see Pete and knocked him off his bike. They were only doing 40mph but it was enough to be fatal.

What are your views on the road markings and layout of the Stocksbridge bypass? I've noticed there are yellow cameras everywhere, what's that about? What can be done to reduce tragic terrible accidents like this? :cry:

Originally posted by Classic Rock

What are your views on the road markings and layout of the Stocksbridge bypass? I've noticed there are yellow cameras everywhere, what's that about? What can be done to reduce tragic terrible accidents like this? :cry:

The road is far safer than it ever has been because of the cameras. The yellow cameras are specs cameras, they average your distance from the start to the finish, and if you speed in between as well your caught. In my opinion these are the best safety cameras around.

I don't have a problem with the layout, it is no different to any other roads that I have driven on.

I am sorry to hear about another death on the bypass involving a biker, but these kind of accidents can happen on any stretch of road and isn't particular to the bypass. On my journey home last night on the M60 (my partner was following me in the car on his motorbike) I looked in the rearview mirror to see a BMW nearly take him out because the BMW had left it to late to get into the correct lane.

One of our regular customers, Pete Wild, an experienced biker and all round top bloke was killed on the Stocksbridge bypass at the weekend.

He started to overtake two cars and as he set off, the car behind decided to overtake the car in front, didn't see Pete and knocked him off his bike. They were only doing 40mph but it was enough to be fatal.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I'm passing this particular area quite often and I find it no different from many other passages. From what you wrote, I think the fault lies of course with the car driver for being sloppy. Yet I think that the safest way of riding is to trust noone, ever. That's why during a passing maneuver I think it's best

a.) get all involved cars behind you as fast as possible

b.) keep extra distance

I was out yesterday in the peaks and had a close shave myself with an imbezil turning right from the opposite direction right into me, then slumping on his brakes when he saw me and coming to a full stop square in the middle of the road.

It's a trade-off... you trade in your metal cage which gives you extra protection from the idiocy of others for a sense of freedom, high acceleration, maneuverability, better flow through traffic, no parking problems etc.

How can you reduce tragic accidents like this? You can't really. As biker, just ensure you do as much right things as possible like:

Always have the headlights on.

Trust noone and ride defensively.

Wear as much protective gear as you're reasonable comfortable with, even if you look like an astronaut and you sweat a lot in the summer.

My 2pence.

First of all let me say how sorry I am to hear of yet another tragic and needless death on our roads.

Secondly, we need to change the way we talk or write about these incidents - they are not 'accidents', they are crashes. Someone is at fault. In this case, it would appear to be the overtaking driver.

Finally, I know I've banged on about this before but Stocksbridge bypass is as safe a road as anywhere else - its the morons who drive on it that are the problem. There is one simple answer - better driver education!

Unfortunately on today's roads, people think they are all experts as soon as they have passed their driving tests. As a driving instructor, I've had more training than most people and I still make mistakes ocassionally. Refresher lessons every 5 or 10 years would make all drivers re-assess their capabilities.

A car is a lethal weapon. How many of you operate machinery at work without receiving ongoing training?

Another way would be for the courts to impose stiffer sentences on the idiots who cause mayhem on our roads but that will never happen due to the number of do-gooders sitting on the bench!

Comments awaited with interest!!

I think your comments pretty much sum up my thoughts on the issue Saxon.

Regards to the Biker's family.

DeeJ

the accident wasnt actually on the bypass he was just travelling back through oughtibridge past the one way towards middlewood

as far as we are aware his riding was not in question it was a car which again ( didnt see them ) yes there was more than one rider as some passed the car it pulled out into pete the rider travelling behind him could have been next

he will be missed as he was really talented and a great bloke

so please car drivers WATCH FOR BIKES

I regularly drive on the Stocksbridge bypass and I still get overtaken or caught up by drivers even when I'm driving at 60mph which is the speed limit. I really hope those drivers who whizz past me as soon as we get to the overtaking lane are getting caught by the speed cameras. I am well aware of the speed cameras being spec cameras as Skatiechik explained so I deliberately stick to driving under 60mph all the way. I think some people STILL don't know what the speed limit is on this road or even more crazily, think it's a dual carriageway and hence can go up to 70mph.

Just wanted my 2pence on some of the irresponsible drivers who drive on this road!

However, in this case you said that speeding wasn't the main culprit here. Sounds like an unfortunate, sad incident where your friend just wasn't spotted? As I driver I find that when bikers have their lights on even in the day in makes them much more visible. However, if your friend was an experienced biker then he probably would already have been doing that?

I agree that I don't think it's the road that's the problem necessarily, it's the way people are driving on it. I think refresher lessons as Saxon suggested would be a good idea to help irradicate any bad habits that drivers may pick up over the years?

(Hadn't seen Roger's post before I posted this!)

Full story here:

The Sheffield Star

The death did occur at Oughtibridge not Stocksbridge so I'll change the title.

Commiserations to all who knew him.

Originally posted by roger

the accident wasnt actually on the bypass he was just travelling back through oughtibridge past the one way towards middlewood

as far as we are aware his riding was not in question it was a car which again ( didnt see them ) yes there was more than one rider as some passed the car it pulled out into pete the rider travelling behind him could have been next

he will be missed as he was really talented and a great bloke

so please car drivers WATCH FOR BIKES

It is terribly sad to hear of this tragedy and it seems blatently the car drivers fault but lets not tarnish all car drivers with inability to see motorcyclists any more than we should tarnish all motorcyclists as being reckless and risk takers.

Once again I extend my condolances to the family and friends of the person who died.

Stocksbridge Bypass.

No one has ever mentioned this (although the topic has been discussed)! As these cameras are quite rare, motorists may not know exactly how they work. EG you see the camera you slow down; you pass the camera you speed up. You get to the next camera you slow down again, and so on.

So people who know the road know the system and know how it works. Those who have never come across this type of system before do not!!! Ok so we all (most of us) go over the speed limit at some point. The idea behind these cameras is to stop all the deaths on this road not so much to catch speeding drivers.

My point is, if the Highways Department is so keen to stop deaths on this road by making drivers slow down and not profiting from these cameras, why do they not come up with a sign clearly stating how they work at both ends of the road rather than letting unaware drivers risk another life on this road?

They have them for the Gatso etc.

Speed cameras actually miss the point. When you consider the Stocksbridge Bypass was planned as the eastern end of the M67 (yes, joining up across the Pennines to Manchester), then you can see the current road as severely under-specification. The reason for so many fatalities? The road should have been built as nothing less than dual-carriageway. The "overtaking lane" switching course over the length of the road from Underbank to Deepcar doesn't help either.

http://pathetic.org.uk/Motorways/m67-2.htm

Originally posted by pberry

Speed cameras actually miss the point. When you consider the Stocksbridge Bypass was planned as the eastern end of the M67 (yes, joining up across the Pennines to Manchester), then you can see the current road as severely under-specification. The reason for so many fatalities? The road should have been built as nothing less than dual-carriageway. The "overtaking lane" switching course over the length of the road from Underbank to Deepcar doesn't help either.

http://pathetic.org.uk/Motorways/m67-2.htm

Couldnt agree more. Its not the speed that is causing the accidents, its people overtaking when they shouldnt be. So many times Ive seen people overtake moving over the double white lines.

I personally still dont think the cameras are switched on, although im happy to be proved wrong.

Solution would have been to install barriers down the centre and stop the overtaking. Would IMO stop most of the accidents. Historically, Im sure most were caused by overtaking.